Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Storage Tray Ideas

Old 03-18-2021, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Storage Tray Ideas

I am planning on mounting a permanent storage box to the rear of my 2010 JKUR, and I don't want to waste the storage bin space underneath.

Basically I am looking for ideas on how to utilize that space in a more non-accessible way. I already have on-board air, and I like the idea of another tank to expand my air storage capabilities, but I haven't found an air tank that fits in there. A power inverter could be cool, but not sure if I want to mount electrical that low as I do creek crossings (Fordyce) that can reach that level in the vehicle (obviously I would have a cooling fan with ducting to make sure it doesn't overheat).

Curious if anybody has done anything in particular with that space that I have not thought of... Water storage, relays, or whatever else you have thought of
Old 03-18-2021, 01:33 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

It holds a bottle of Jim beam pretty well, just have to pack stuff around it so it doesn’t break.
👍🏻
The following users liked this post:
Sixty4x4 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 01:35 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Actually I have seen lockable boxes that fit in there, I keep a change of clothes in there, just in case
Old 03-18-2021, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dat
It holds a bottle of Jim beam pretty well, just have to pack stuff around it so it doesn’t break.
👍🏻
Maybe put a refillable bladder with an air bladder surrounding it for special "Liquids"
Old 03-18-2021, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

The purpose, though, is it won't be easily accessible due to the permanent storage box on top of it. Looking for a more custom use
Old 03-18-2021, 02:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Have you seen this thread? Under-floor Storage
Old 03-18-2021, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Nice build

Unfortunately I am looking for something taller so I can store fluids in the box. But maybe I could take your idea and tweak it to make it taller, and add tie downs to the top to secure things like a cooler and camp totes...
Old 03-18-2021, 06:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I did a storage trunk a la ronjenx's write-up years ago, and still to date it's one of the best mods I've done. I scrapped the cover for that storage compartment and simply use that part as deeper storage. Usually I have some things tucked down there that I might not need as often (big tie downs, emergency rain top, jumper cables, etc....then all my trail tools just go on top/over that stuff. It's such an awkward space due to the sloped sides, that it's just not super functional to try and get something down there under the cover IMO.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I mounted the GenRight storage rack in my JK.

I find that the area under the rack is pretty much hidden from view and didn’t really need any locking cabinet.

The following users liked this post:
OldHippie (03-19-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Sweet setup with the cage!

The more I think on it, I might get (or make) a storage bin with drawers that I can lift the front when needed to access the bin and keep hardly used items in there

Quick Reply: Rear Storage Tray Ideas