Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear springs to replace spacers...

Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear springs to replace spacers...

So, I recently stuck a Rancho 2" sport lift on my 2014 JK Sahara. I love the kit and it is doing great. What i'm curious about is maybe swapping the rear 1.75" spacers for actual springs. The problem is, it seems springs like the OME 2.25" rear coils and some of the other name brand coils in the 2" range are providing 3+ inches of lift. I don't want to open another can of worms with track bar replacement and crap like that. I also don't want to create a gay rake where the back is 2" higher than the front. I can live with a little bit of a rake, and I may even put a heavier bumper on at some point. I also don't mind a little bit of an increase in height for the sake of a stiffer spring that will help when I'm towing stuff and/or have extra pedestrian weight in the back seat. Thoughts? Experiences preferred.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

On Rock Krawler's website if I'm not mistaken, it lists the actualy lift of their 1.5 springs to be 2.5 front, 2 rear. That would be pretty close to what you're looking for. I know the springs are available separately...front pairs and rear pairs for about $150 per pair. Not sure about mixing the triple rate springs with what you have on the front though Maybe someone else can give more insight..
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have rock crawler triple rates front and back and back you will get about 1.5" lift, front just a tad over 2" this is with stock rear bumper and spare tire combo around 85lbs. front has a stock bumper and a VR10000S winch. my prior lift was an AEV 2" lift with 18/60 stock coils (14 jkur) and my lift is exactly the same but have a much better ride on and off road. I actually wish the rear was about 1/2" taller as visually it looks low in the back even tho it is not.

Last edited by jadmt; 07-21-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd probably be better off keeping the spacer. Using the OME light duty coils for example, will be worse. They're really soft and you wouldn't want to tow with those. If you need a little more spring rate, pick up a set of stock take-off coils with a higher spring rate. If you have a 2 door, your rear coils are probably in the neighborhood of 54-55. Grab a set one to two numbers higher.

Aftermarket coils are not magic. Stock coils are actually pretty good. You are correct that most aftermarket coils will give you more than 2" of lift.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up some used teraflex 2.5' coils for my 4 door and about 3" in front and 2 1/4" in back.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:43 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the replies gents. I'm all for picking up a set of heavier stock springs. Would a pair off a 4 door Rubi work on my 2 door? I want to make sure I do it right.

I noticed someone mentioned they only got 1.5 with the RK 1.5 springs. Well, you have a 4 door. I bet I get at least 2" on my 4 door. I spoke to RK and they don't make different springs for 2/4 door. So my lighter weight should yield more lift.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Thanks for the replies gents. I'm all for picking up a set of heavier stock springs. Would a pair off a 4 door Rubi work on my 2 door? I want to make sure I do it right.

I noticed someone mentioned they only got 1.5 with the RK 1.5 springs. Well, you have a 4 door. I bet I get at least 2" on my 4 door. I spoke to RK and they don't make different springs for 2/4 door. So my lighter weight should yield more lift.
There is a tag attached to your coils. Take a look at it. It will be along number that ends in 5X (e.g. 54, 55, etc). I wouldn't move up much as the higher spring rates will also give you more lift (unless you offset it by adding weight to your Jeep, like a bumper, etc).
Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Mine are 55's.

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
There is a tag attached to your coils. Take a look at it. It will be along number that ends in 5X (e.g. 54, 55, etc). I wouldn't move up much as the higher spring rates will also give you more lift (unless you offset it by adding weight to your Jeep, like a bumper, etc).
Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the same lift kit on my 2011 jk. Raised the front 3'' and the back 1''. really would like to get a lil more lift under my ass end so i don't have a front to back rake. but i need to know where the 'cut off' line is so i don't have to buy 6 other things cause i went a touch too high. currently I'm running OEM springs that end in 58. any suggestions on how to get another 2'' of lift back there? id be happy with even just an 1.5'' suggestions?????
Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Taller factory coils may be the ticket for you. I have 17s in front along with a 1'' spacer (replaced 14s)..with a relatively lightweight winch/aftermarket bumper combo I 1 1/2'' Out back I went from 54s to 59s and gained about 1''. Sits about perfectly level.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	566983  

Quick Reply: Rear springs to replace spacers...