Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear springs bending...help fix

Old 01-28-2011, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rear springs bending...help fix

so after the jeep has been in the wifes care for awhile now i got home and started going over my baby head to toe. to my dismay my rear springs are bending out a good bit and my swaybars are surface rusting like a mutha-trucka. heres a few quick snapshots, tell me what you guys think and how i can fix the issue. only wieght on the rear is a smittybuilt xrc bumper and spare 35" tire. I have the rear upper flex arms and front lowers currently installed as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	122175Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	122176Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	122177
Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Wedges, bolt on perch, weld on perch
Old 01-28-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

should i adjust my rear upper arms? would that rotate the rear axle?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by couchpotato
should i adjust my rear upper arms? would that rotate the rear axle?
Easy fix - wedges
More permanent fix - JKS bolt-on perch, or Teraflex weld-on perch. I'm going with a Tera weld-on perch just because I worry a lot about U-bolts sliding around or something.

Rotating the axle would help some, but be careful if you rotate it too much to fix the coil bowing, it might hurt the pinion angle on your driveshaft.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheapest option are the polyurethane wedges for about $35. I would recco spring retainers with this though. The next option would be the bolt-on's (about $125). I'm not too keen on the weld-on's unless you know for sure that you won't ever change your setup (lift height). I myself went with the wedges with spring retainers. Works great and no problems.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by couchpotato
so after the jeep has been in the wifes care for awhile now i got home and started going over my baby head to toe. to my dismay my rear springs are bending out a good bit and my swaybars are surface rusting like a mutha-trucka. heres a few quick snapshots, tell me what you guys think and how i can fix the issue. only wieght on the rear is a smittybuilt xrc bumper and spare 35" tire. I have the rear upper flex arms and front lowers currently installed as well.
Shorten your rear uppers a little, just make sure you don't drop you pinion too low. Pull the links out and hit them with some Hammerite paint.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Pull the links out and hit them with some Hammerite paint.
Mine are doing the same thing from all this damn road salt. Where can I get some of this Hammerite paint? I assume I'll need to mask off the bushings and zerks, correct?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sir

We offer simple poly coil spring correction wedges that will help with your issue and they will also firm up the ride due to the lost effective spring rate from the coil bowing!

Just food for thought and they are only $24.99 per pair.

Rock Krawler
Old 01-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcharge74
Mine are doing the same thing from all this damn road salt. Where can I get some of this Hammerite paint? I assume I'll need to mask off the bushings and zerks, correct?
I've seen it at Lowes/Home Depot/Checker. Your correct on masking those off is the correct way, I'm not going to on mine.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the quick responses everybody. i will look into the brackets, since i dont plan on changing my lift at all should i just cut the old perches off and weld the new ones on? or is the bolt up versions better? and where did you get the spring retainers Renpia?

Last edited by couchpotato; 01-28-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: rear springs bending...help fix