Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob4607
but why it came out of the top is a mystery. Good thing that it didn't fall out on the trail.
If it did come out on the trail with a HiLift you could have reseated it. I've seen it done. Though as I recall it took most of a 60" to do it.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Only kit #1251000 (2.5"-4 coils and 4 TeraFlex shocks) will need/have the 1/2" spacers that have coil guide (about 4" long). The coil guides are used to guide the coil back to their seated position. The TeraFlex shocks are 2.59" longer (rear) and 1.89" long (front) than stock shocks with 2.5" extensions.

So if you have a 2.5" coil kit with shock extensions, your fine.
Thanks for the clarification Joe I guess I received one of the earlier kits without the spacers and the difference in shock length explains the picture I posted in the original post. Thanks for following up.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nangulator
Something is traveling a little to far, your rear brake hose looks as tight as a piano string in this pic
You're right; and that is with the axle hanging straight down and level. Stuff the opposite side and that brake house may part.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

I wanted to chime in. I got my TERAFLEX 2.5IN COIL W/SHOCKS 07-08 JK 1251000 from Quadratec in early Oct, and after reading this thread it had me worried, but i went out and looked (its pouring raining here so i couldnt get under it or pics), but it appears mine came with the spacer and i did install it over the factory isolater. It must have just been a fluke with the real early units.
When HG97TJ first got his lift, I asked him a ton of questions about it, and was sad to hear his lift was having issue, i hope you get it taken care of quickly and, most importantly, safely.

I havent wheeled mine very hard yet, but so far so good for me. I actually have reverse rake still, the front is higher than the rear, but I am getting a bumper and winch in the next month to take care of it.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Questions for Joe: (or anyone who knows)
I will be installing your 3" full fles kit, pg. 9 #1451300. Are the 2 rings at the top of pg. 9
next to the springs the 1" front spacers? Are the 2 black circle things above the trackbar brace on pg. 9
the 1/2" rear spacer & guides??? Or should I order the 4 parts from pg. 11 to go with
my kit?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be a bit late to jump in the battle but when I installed my FT 3'' kit (which might be closed enough to the 2.5 TF BB), I had to use a coil spring compressor, which was not indicated in either writ up or kit installation's instruction. I could drop one side of the axle enough to remove the OE coil but not to install the extended coil.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

If your shocks, sway bar links, and track bar were unbolted...it should have dropped all the way without having to use a spring compressor. Nothing else except the brake lines would be holding it up there.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Default 2.5" Coils and Teraflex 9550 Shocks

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Only kit #1251000 (2.5"-4 coils and 4 TeraFlex shocks) will need/have the 1/2" spacers that have coil guide (about 4" long). The coil guides are used to guide the coil back to their seated position. The TeraFlex shocks are 2.59" longer (rear) and 1.89" long (front) than stock shocks with 2.5" extensions.

So if you have a 2.5" coil kit with shock extensions, you're fine.
Joe, are you saying that those of us with kit #1251000 (2.5" - four coils and four TeraFlex 9550 shocks) should have coil guides for both front and rear due to the longer 4" lift shocks being sold with the 2.5" lift kit? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Joe, are you saying that those of us with kit #1251000 (2.5" - four coils and four TeraFlex 9550 shocks) should have coil guides for both front and rear due to the longer 4" lift shocks being sold with the 2.5" lift kit? Thanks.
I think the coil guide spacers are only for the rear.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
I think the coil guide spacers are only for the rear.
I think you may be right, but wasn't sure since Joe mentioned the front TF 9550 shocks being longer than factory shocks + adapters, and I didn't remember the front coils/shocks being been previously discussed in this thread. Made me wonder if something is going on with the front coils also, plus there is another forum member who has had the same problem on his front as you've had on your rear suspension.

Since this "issue" apparently has been satisfactorily resolved for all intents and purposes, I guess I'm off to order that $70 Currie Coil Retainer Kit that some have mentioned in this thread - nice simple, but elegant, solution. At least it's easier than having to disassemble the lift in the rear to install the missing guides.

Quick Reply: rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?