Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4LO
Yikes! Wasn't meant to be an insult, or discredit you. Sorry to anger you.
Simply put... if you're pulling apart, your shocks are too long. You can keep that extra flex by limiting the springs from coming out, or you can get shorter shocks.
I had the same problem and chose to move my e-brake cables below the x-member and add some limiting straps to the tops of the coils. Now I have a lot more flex and keep things together. These are the simple engineering feats that I'm refering to. Not a big deal... I'm sure you are a real Jeeper, so again sorry for offending you.
Ok I apologize as well, but how would you feel if some one said that to you? Add the fact that I bought this kit after many, many, many damn calls to both Joe at Teraflex as well as David at Northridge. I wanted a compete kit that I didn't have to add anything, and if I did need anything I wanted to go ahead and get what ever it may be so I can do it all at one time, hence the reason that I got the front and rear adjustable track bar, which I am glad that I did because many on here the worst issue besides the bump stops was getting the rear track bar bracket installed. I do not seem to have the spring shift that the OP has due to using my rubi shocks, but it would seem if Teraflex is going to use the same rear shocks for multiple lifts, 2.5-4" then they would know that there would be a problem and either supply different shock (cheaper for them, bought in quanity) or supply limiting straps or something else.
My problem is that my right side is lower that the left by well over a 1 1/4", it looks freaking retarded, I put the shrockworks rear on and it got hella worse.
I had to buy new springs from tflex, (I upgraded to 3" due to adding bumpers and sliders that will put me back to 2.5ish) then once I swp them I have to send them back to see if I get credit for them, I am at their mercy, sucks. And it looks like today I will be a chump again and buy new ones for the rear as well so that I can take it all apart again and put it back together at one time. My main point is two fold, If they would have included the spacers that some have recieved I could have fixed it with those as much as it would have driven me nuts, and two is if the rear spring bolt set up was in the kit I wouldn't now have to worry about the rear springs falling all the way out on a trail now.
again, I apologize, I am just stay irritated over this. The reason that I wanted it complete is because it is temporary because of my wife being pregnant and I agreed not to go any higher for here having problems getting in and out. I want to go 4" and at that point, playing with parts here and there is a different story because I do like to tinker but with baby romm stuf and so on ther is not much tinker time for the jeep as well as extra money to buy other parts to complete a kit. Sorry for the long post, sorry and thanks.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

Default TF Rear Spring Guides / Spacers

Going through these posts, it appears (at least to me) that the rear spring guide-spacers were only included in 2.5" kits that comprised both the coil lift and 9550 shocks. Is there anyone that bought both the coil lift and 9550 shocks who did not receive the guide-spacers, or is there anyone who bought only the lift, but did receive the guide-spacers?

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 01-02-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

ok just got off of the phone with Joe to order the new coils for the rear, I explained to him again that some people were getting the spacers and the bolt/washer set up to secure the rear spring and some where not, he replied that some of the earlier kits went out with out them and that he was sending them to me. I also told him that he (they) were getting theur nuts kicked in over the missing parts and inconsistancies in shipping complete kits, he was aware of this and said that they will probably get rode for a while about it but to answer the questions that ya'll have had is YES the spacers are to be includes as well as the bottom spring securing bolt set up. So if you got an earlier kit you may want to give him a call so that you can at least get the spacers to level out the slight jeep lean that some of you have I will be adding them in the rear, yes I know it will have the rake but I have a 5 x 10 trailer that I haul around from time to tome or I have the dogs in the back and will plan on getiing one of those reciever hitch cargo carrier for the bags and such so the dogs will have the room in the rear of the Jeep. I hate it when a vehicle has the sloped to the rear look, it drives me nuts. after I replace my coils i will do a write up. and for the rest of you, call Joe!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Junkie

That does look like it will be much simpler to install verses pulling everything back off to insert the Teraflex spring guide-spacers.

Originally Posted by Ogie
Screw it. I went ahead and ordered the Currie rear spring retainer kit. I like these Teraflex shocks, and I don't want to spend the money to change them out or stick my old Rubi shocks back in. This should take care of any possible spring movement.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to let everyone know I have not overlooked this thread and everyone's concerns/repsonse's. I am working with my engineer and the owner of TeraFlex on this. Inventory is getting done today, so I should have some answers monday or sooner. Thanks for your input on this.

Joe Thompson
Old 01-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Just to let everyone know I have not overlooked this thread and everyone's concerns/repsonse's. I am working with my engineer and the owner of TeraFlex on this. Inventory is getting done today, so I should have some answers monday or sooner. Thanks for your input on this.

Joe Thompson

Thanks Joe!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Thanks Joe!
x2. Appreciate the help on this Joe.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Just to let everyone know I have not overlooked this thread and everyone's concerns/response's. I am working with my engineer and the owner of TeraFlex on this. Inventory is getting done today, so I should have some answers Monday or sooner. Thanks for your input on this.

Joe Thompson
Joe, thanks for checking into this matter.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
I with you 100% JK-Rubi

I'm hoping TF addresses the issue for future buyers with shorter shocks for this kit. I don't like the idea of adding a spacer to the back to prevent the coil from falling out. Even with the spacer I think the whole setup will still move around under full extension... that concerns me

Something is traveling a little to far, your rear brake hose looks as tight as a piano string in this pic
Old 01-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only kit #1251000 (2.5"-4 coils and 4 TeraFlex shocks) will need/have the 1/2" spacers that have coil guide (about 4" long). The coil guides are used to guide the coil back to their seated position. The TeraFlex shocks are 2.59" longer (rear) and 1.89" long (front) than stock shocks with 2.5" extentsions.

So if you have a 2.5" coil kit with shock extentsions, your fine.

Quick Reply: rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?