Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Old 01-01-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Why would TF sell shocks for the 2.5" lift that were designed for a 4" (probably closer to 5" actual) lift? Why is the "quick" fix to add front rake to address this issue (the kit was promoted as "correcting" for front factory rake)?
I with you 100% JK-Rubi

I'm hoping TF addresses the issue for future buyers with shorter shocks for this kit. I don't like the idea of adding a spacer to the back to prevent the coil from falling out. Even with the spacer I think the whole setup will still move around under full extension... that concerns me

Old 01-01-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
I'm sure if you contact Joe at TeraFlex he will take care of you. Maybe you got a kit that was on the shelf for awhile

I still don't plan on using the spacers as the solution anyway even though TF offered to send a set out. Still looking for shorter shocks for the rear
Why? Just add some limiting straps. If you use the shocks to prevent droop, you are just going to snap the ends off. Add a limiting strap to each side to limit droop and you should be fine.

Although, there really should be some clips to hold the spring in place.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Stuka
Why? Just add some limiting straps. If you use the shocks to prevent droop, you are just going to snap the ends off. Add a limiting strap to each side to limit droop and you should be fine.
So Stuka, are you're saying the 23 Oct 2008 Teraflex instructions should really say, "If the fully extended shock length is longer than 25”, you will need limiting straps (Part # XYZ)."?

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 01-01-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
To answer your question, yes the kit should come with the spacer/spring guide. But as to weather or not TF should send them out free of charge to everyone......i am not sure. I mean all the 07-08 JK owners like the little net thing on the center colum and the revised hard top brackets, but should chrysler have to provide those to every JK owner in the world that didnt get them????? I know I am going to get some flack for this, but my opinion is to find the date that they "became" a part of the kit, anyone that purchased a kit packaged after that date should recieve them for free (with proof of purchase obviously) and everyone that got a kit packaged before them should have to buy them.
If all JK factory coils prings were falling out like this and the fix was to replace the coils or just add spacers, yes I think CJ should bear the responsibility to do so for all vehicles produced, and I suspect that Terraflex would supply free the spacers too any who had previous kits that require them as it is clearly something they should have found when the test vehicle was tested before selling this kit as a production item.

Last edited by Brisnut; 01-01-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stuka
Ok, so I am coming in way late here, and I did not read every post. But...
You should NEVER use shocks to limit articulation. If you need to limit droop, get some straps, if you need to limit compression, get longer bump stops. The purpose of a shock is not to limit articulation, and if you use it for that, you will just end up with some broken shocks.
I understand what you are saying but as 99% of all coil sprung vehicles lack limiting straps, even many used in offroad regularly, I don't see the huge numbers of shock failures that should be associated with this.
Spring straps don't "hard limit" droop either they just keep the coils in place, the stetching effect of the spring would take any thump out of the bottom limit and I actually think that is a good thing but still in the end there has to be some hard limit before your tailshaft gets pulled in 2 or brakelines ripped out.
Possibly you mean real axle limiting straps that actually are loops passing under the axle up to the chassis?
We have to remember here these are coil springs, leaf springs self limit travel.
Personally I suspect coils should be solidly attached at both ends so they can handle being stretched as much as they are compressed, because then you could get a vehicle with a lot more travel but still not need ing to be jacked up into the sky in height, so keep the centre of gravity low and cop attention to a minimum while still acheiving good flex.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brisnut
If all JK factory coils prings were falling out like this and the fix was to replace the coils or just add spacers, yes I think CJ should bear the responsibility to do so for all vehicles produced, and I suspect that Terraflex would supply free the spacers too any who had previous kits that require them as it is clearly something they should have found when the test vehicle was tested before selling this kit as a production item.
Thats just it though, we dont know that it is happening to everyone else. We have to assume that he got a complete kit without the spacers prior to the spacers being added, but there is always the chance he got the wrong rear springs, or wrong shocks, or has bad control arm bushings allowing more flex, or has a slightly different build do to factory inconsistency, or whatever reason you can think of. So far he seems to be the only one, or at least one of very few with this issue. I agree that TF made the right decision by adding the spring spacer/guide, but this isnt a part failure either, therfore wouldnt justify a recall/mass mailing of spacer/guides. Now all that being said it would be great to see TF step up and help out there customers by providing these to the people who can provide proof of purchase of a kit that didnt contain them!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Junkie

The spring guides will allow for more droop, as the spring will be allowed to drop below the spring bucket. However, if your shocks are bottoming out, a limiting strap should be added to stop the axle just short of bottoming out the shock. This will prevent you from damaging the shock, which can and will happen if you consistantly bottom out the shock.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Hi All,

Maybe this is a dumb question but... what limits articulationin a stock rubicon? I saw no limiting straps or retainers last time I was under there. They would be nice to have and they surely makes sense, but it appears that the stocker and most 2.5 coil lifts rely on the shock to do this.

If some company starts making limiting straps to go along with their 2.5 coil kits I would probably buy them.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubicorn
Hi All,

Maybe this is a dumb question but... what limits articulationin a stock rubicon? I saw no limiting straps or retainers last time I was under there. They would be nice to have and they surely makes sense, but it appears that the stocker and most 2.5 coil lifts rely on the shock to do this.
Good point Rubicorn ! This is turning into an interesting thread...
Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicorn
Hi All,

If some company starts making limiting straps to go along with their 2.5 coil kits I would probably buy them.
The same thing that limits all the coil sprung Range Rovers, Nissan Patrols, Ladas, Landcruisers and every other coil sprung live axle vehicle since the 7o's, the shock absorbers, only vehicle I have ever seen a set of 2" wide limiting straps looped around the axle was my leaf sprung 1968 Army Landrover and they went straight in the bin with no adverse effects.
I suspect coils springs seem to be a new thing over there, us Aussies have been serious into coils since the coil sprung Patrols and Landcruisers hit the market in the late 80's.

Quick Reply: rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?