Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Old 01-01-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question for anyone else with the TF 2.5 coil lift.

When I installed my lift I did not loosen my front control arm bolts, I didnt feel the need to as everything went into place pretty easily. Now I know my camber is off a little as sometimes it feels as though my jeep is trying to steer into the ground (most of you know what I mean). My question is for those of you that did loosen your bolts during the instilation, when you put it back on the ground and re tourqed them did it help with your pinion angle?

I do plan to get an alignment, I am just waiting for my new tires to arrive before I do that. but I want to get it as dialed in as possible first. I was able to get my front axle within 3/16" of center with the adj. trackbar (JKS) probably could have got it closer but ran out of time and had to button things up. Either way if any body has any input on the afore mentioned pinion angle issue please let me hear it. Thanks.

EDIT: Typo
Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benmar2000
I was looking at the install instructions and this is what is said in them..
CAUTION: If you did not purchase the 2.5” spring kit that includes the TeraFlex shocks and rear spring guides (Part #1251000), or if you purchased the kit with the shock adapters and are not using the factory shocks, you may need to purchase 2 of the 1/2” rear spring guides and spacers, (Part #1954105), to keep the springs aligned with the spring buckets under full extnsion.
To determine if you need the rear spring guides, measure your shock from the top of the bar pin (or shock adapters if you are using the adapters) to the center of the eyelet when it is fully extended. If the fully extended shock length is longer than 25”, you will need the TeraFlex rear spring guides (Part #1954105).
So the instructions tell you to use the Spring Guides in the back.. I will give them a try first since I already have them... If they don't work, then I will look at the Currie spring retainers.. Go with the cheapest solution first then work your way from there..
My instructions didn't have any of this in them. What's going on? Installed my Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift plus 9550 shocks at the end of August '08 (ordered from David at Northridge, but I believe the kit was "dropped shipped" straight from Teraflex). Called Joe to verify I had latest instructions, 15 July 2008 (see below pic), and he said yes. Also, double-checked the Teraflex web site, and 15 July 2008 was the latest available for download.

Spent over eight hours installing - yeah, we took our time because we wanted to make sure it was done right, and we had the following hiccups along the way:
1) probably at least an hour on the front bump stop extensions - ended up using another jack to assist pushing them into place
2) an hour or more on the rear track bar relocation bracket - ended up filing the holes so the bolt would pass through
3) and at least 45 minutes trying to figure out why we had coil spacers mixed in with the parts, but absolutely no instructions with respect to why they were there, or whether we even needed to install them.
For the latter hiccup, most of that time was spent on the web attempting to figure out why they were included, and trying to find out if anyone else mentioned them in their install notes, write-ups, etc. As you can see from the below pic, we decided the rear of the JK didn't need 1/2" spacers so we didn't install them.

Edit: Just checked the Teraflex site again, and the instructions were updated 23 Oct 2008 to specifically address the shock length/coil relationship.

Glad to see their engineers learned something, but am curious as to whether a better solution will be forthcoming other than . . . get under your Jeep and add two more hours of install time correcting for the procedures in the outdated installation guide. Sorry if I sound disappointed, but it's because I am. Why would TF sell shocks for the 2.5" lift that were designed for a 4" (probably closer to 5" actual) lift? Why is the "quick" fix to add front rake to address this issue (the kit was promoted as "correcting" for front factory rake)?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

Ok, so I am coming in way late here, and I did not read every post. But...

You should NEVER use shocks to limit articulation. If you need to limit droop, get some straps, if you need to limit compression, get longer bump stops. The purpose of a shock is not to limit articulation, and if you use it for that, you will just end up with some broken shocks.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
I have a question for anyone else with the TF 2.5 coil lift.
My question is for those of you that did loosen your bolts during the instillation, when you put it back on the ground and re tourqed them did it help with your pinion angle?
I loosened all the control arm bolts during the install, and then re-tightened when all the kit parts (well, based on this thread, make that - most of the kit parts) were installed. Made sure vehicle was off all the jacks, and on level ground when I torqued all the control arm bolts back to spec. Have had no issues at all with steering, and I've since added 35" tires.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Junkie

What's odd, is that Teraflex still doesn't mention them on the first page of the updated 23 Oct 2008 Installation Guide Kit list.

Originally Posted by benmar2000
Those are the exact same spacers I have..

Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
I loosened all the control arm bolts during the install, and then re-tightened when all the kit parts (well, based on this thread, make that - most of the kit parts) were installed. Made sure vehicle was off all the jacks, and on level ground when I torqued all the control arm bolts back to spec. Have had no issues at all with steering, and I've since added 35" tires.
Thanks JK-Rubi,
When I am at the shop tommorow I think I am going to loosen it all set it on the ground and re-torque. I dont have a problem with steering per-say, just doesnt feel quite right though. Maybe this will fix the issue.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where are you all finding the Oct install instructions? My kit came with July 08 install instructions and NO rear coil spring retainers. Joe indicated they did not come with kit 1352000 lift w/adaptors. Why are they listed as included in the kit

Really would like to get my hands on the revised instructions and EVERYTHING that SHOULD come with the kit.

So, what do you think? Should there be rear coil spring retainers included as stated in the kit.

Teraflex Joe, if you get this, please respond?

Never mind, found the revised instructions. Thanks quadratec. Are the rear coil spring retainers the same as these spacers we are talking about?

Last edited by uup4it; 01-01-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by uup4it
Where are you all finding the Oct install instructions? My kit came with July 08 install instructions and NO rear coil spring retainers. Joe indicated they did not come with kit 1352000 lift w/adaptors. Why are they listed as included in the kit

Really would like to get my hands on the revised instructions and EVERYTHING that SHOULD come with the kit.

So, what do you think? Should there be rear coil spring retainers included as stated in the kit.

Teraflex Joe, if you get this, please respond?
To answer your question, yes the kit should come with the spacer/spring guide. But as to weather or not TF should send them out free of charge to everyone......i am not sure. I mean all the 07-08 JK owners like the little net thing on the center colum and the revised hard top brackets, but should chrysler have to provide those to every JK owner in the world that didnt get them????? I know I am going to get some flack for this, but my opinion is to find the date that they "became" a part of the kit, anyone that purchased a kit packaged after that date should recieve them for free (with proof of purchase obviously) and everyone that got a kit packaged before them should have to buy them.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
To answer your question, yes the kit should come with the spacer/spring guide. But as to weather or not TF should send them out free of charge to everyone......i am not sure. I mean all the 07-08 JK owners like the little net thing on the center colum and the revised hard top brackets, but should chrysler have to provide those to every JK owner in the world that didnt get them????? I know I am going to get some flack for this, but my opinion is to find the date that they "became" a part of the kit, anyone that purchased a kit packaged after that date should recieve them for free (with proof of purchase obviously) and everyone that got a kit packaged before them should have to buy them.
Totally agree w/ you. However, I just purchased the kit 8 days ago, so I should fall into the category purchased after they became available. The july install instructions do indicate they ARE included in kit, so it seems only fair you get what is indicated in the kit - if not where is my money for the missing items? They indicated back in July they were included..............
Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by uup4it
Totally agree w/ you. However, I just purchased the kit 8 days ago, so I should fall into the category purchased after they became available. The july install instructions do indicate they ARE included in kit, so it seems only fair you get what is indicated in the kit - if not where is my money for the missing items? They indicated back in July they were included..............
I'm sure if you contact Joe at TeraFlex he will take care of you. Maybe you got a kit that was on the shelf for awhile

I still don't plan on using the spacers as the solution anyway even though TF offered to send a set out. Still looking for shorter shocks for the rear

Quick Reply: rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?