Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Option #4
Currie makes a rear spring retainer

Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

Nice Where can I buy this? Does it retain the top AND bottom of the spring? My TF coils already have a large washer on the bottom keeping them in place.

Originally Posted by Buster
Option #4
Currie makes a rear spring retainer

Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
  1. Add the TeraFlex 1/2" rear spacer with the "spring guide" to prevent the coil from sliding out again.
    The only reason I don't like this option is because I finally got the JK's stance the way I like it after moving from the 2.5" BB to coils and adding a front spacer to compensate for front end sag. I'd hate to recreate the factory rake that I finally got rid of.
  2. Get shorter rear shocks (these 9550 shocks expand to 28.09"). TF even suggested throwing on the original Rubi shocks with TF shock extensions...not sure how that expanded length would compare to the 28.09" that the TeraFlex 9550's stretch to, I'll have to look into that.
  3. Use a limiting strap. (Although I know it's been used I personally don't like the sounds of this solution)

Any thoughts
I have the 1/2" spacer and also kept my stock shocks and used the extensions.

You can use the 1/2" spacer without the stock isolator and your rake will not change at all. I needed an extra 1/2" lift in my rear due to a rear metal bumper so I used the stock isolator and the spacer. You can see pics of it here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/notes-teraflex-2-5%94-spring-lift-51483/#post653349
Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
Nice Where can I buy this? Does it retain the top AND bottom of the spring? My TF coils already have a large washer on the bottom keeping them in place.
Yes they do retain the coil top and bottom. The rear spring retainer kit was designed as a "safety" in the event of a shock failure. The rear shocks on the JK are vulnerable, if the shock gets hit by a rock and breaks, the spring could come flying out.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benmar2000
Has anyone put these on the TF springs? I know the top retainer is not wide enough to fit my OME springs.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does the OME kit have the same issue? I haven't heard anyone say anything on here..
I have never heard of it happening with OME. I never heard of it happening with TF until this post. Better safe than sorry for me.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cdc12372
If you are using the wrong shock for whatever reason that may be, then the proper fix is to use the correct shock.

If you are using the recommended shock, IMO what you have is a spring that was not properly designed for the application.

When designing a spring lots factors have to be considered, one of them is called "free lenght". Free lenght is the lenght of the spring when not loaded, out of the vehicle. That lenght should be the minimum lenght needed for the spring to stay in place when the suspension is at full droop, maybe a little more, clearly not the case with this spring!!!!!!

Well that just may be the case, at least for this 2.5" coil lift where the rear coils actually provide just over 2" of lift.

The TeraFlex catalog indicates that the same shocks are used for the 2.5", 3" and 4" kits and has an extended length of 28.09" which may just be too much for this 2.5" coil kit.

So I guess I need rear shocks where the extended length is no more than 26.5" ? Am I correct is saying that factory shocks plus extensions would have an extended length of about 24" as another option

Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

I have the exact same lift in my garage.. I got the spacer/coil guide in my kit.. I am going to use that with the stock isolation pad.. If that doesn't seem to work, then I will order the Currie rear spring retainer kit and give that a try..
Did you get the TF 9550 shocks with the kit or are you using your factory Rubi shocks with extensions ?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ogie
I would like to hear from somebody that has the TF 2.5" spring lift and the Currie retainer. I want to be sure it fits before ordering. This seems the easiest way to resolve the problem because it appears that you shouldn't have to remove the spring to install it.
I'd be interested in hearing from someone who installed these as well with this kit. I searched the forum for this product and didn't find any posts. I did find a write-up on project-jk... see step #29 http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

I was looking at the install instructions and this is what is said in them..

So the instructions tell you to use the Spring Guides in the back.. I will give them a try first since I already have them... If they don't work, then I will look at the Currie spring retainers.. Go with the cheapest solution first then work your way from there..
I'm really leaning towards shorter rear shocks as a solution... I just saw first hand with the Jeep up on a lift how much space there is between the factory isolator and the spring bucket and it's much more than 1/2". I just think these 28" extended 9550 shocks are too long for this application and I could still see the potential for that spring to move around even with the 1/2" spacer. As far as using the Currie spring retainer I think you be asking too much of it on both the top and bottom to keep that spring in tact. It would be "stretching" that rear spring at least a few inches under full extension and that's a lot of pressure on both ends of the spring retainers.

Here's what the rear coils look like with the Jeep up on a lift and also what we had to do to keep the coils straight as we lowered the Jeep off the lift since the coils were not contacting the spring buckets...

We needed to guide the coils in place as the lift was lowered to keep them straight and centered in the spring bucket since they were not making contact.

Quick Reply: rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?