Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine looked to be about 3/4", though I didnt mesure it.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
That spacer at the top doesn't look right. Can you post/send me some better shots from the side. Is it flat on one side?
TeraFlex,

I crawled underneath and took some more shots of the TeraFlex spring and factory isolator up close to show you how it shifted. It looks like the factory isolator is installed with the cone facing down just like the passenger side rear. Let me know what you think as I'm a bit concerned that this could happen again and the kit seems to be installed just as the instructions indicate.

Edit: Some have questioned the the jagged edge inside the spring bucket opening is just dried up mud from the weekend. Tough spot to clean !!!

Last edited by HG07JKRubi; 01-02-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember the big pointy end goes down into the spring.....but there is a small knob thingy on the back (top) you cant see in the pic.....at least there is in mine.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

intersting note for future teraflex purchases that you have to hope that you buy on a good month to get a complete kit.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
TeraFlex,

I crawled underneath and took some more shots of the TeraFlex spring and factory isolator up close to show you how it shifted. It looks like the factory isolator is installed with the cone facing down just like the passenger side rear. Let me know what you think as I'm a bit concerned that this could happen again and the kit seems to be installed just as the instructions indicate.

That just doesn't look correct
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rob4607
intersting note for future teraflex purchases that you have to hope that you buy on a good month to get a complete kit.
Common sense would tell you that you should read the instructions, which include a list of what is supposed to be there in the package. You might have made a mistake before too. (and we don't know that TF did make any mistake on this kit...as of yet)

IF you do not have experience doing any modification that YOUR life and someone elses life might depend on then you should get experienced help or let a pro do it.

Like my 6" TF LA kit... it required welding which I havent done is twenty years.. so off to the pros it went, since my life will be riding on those welds..and YEP you guessed it, before it left the shop I inspected every weld and every bolt.
Not that I didn't trust them, but its my LIFE and MY responsibility to make sure its right.

To the OP, spring orientation correct? I will have to take a pic in the morning of my spring set up.. and if TF doesn't beat me to it... I will post up.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Junkie

Got off the phone with TeraFlex a little while ago...Thanks Joe...you were very helpful, thanks for taking the time to help with this issue Basically I'm going to decide on one of a few options available before I go off-roading and flexing the suspension again. In the meantime I'll just have that spring re-centered so I can drive it.
  1. Add the TeraFlex 1/2" rear spacer with the "spring guide" to prevent the coil from sliding out again.
    The only reason I don't like this option is because I finally got the JK's stance the way I like it after moving from the 2.5" BB to coils and adding a front spacer to compensate for front end sag. I'd hate to recreate the factory rake that I finally got rid of.
  2. Get shorter rear shocks (these 9550 shocks expand to 28.09"). TF even suggested throwing on the original Rubi shocks with TF shock extensions...not sure how that expanded length would compare to the 28.09" that the TeraFlex 9550's stretch to, I'll have to look into that.
  3. Use a limiting strap. (Although I know it's been used I personally don't like the sounds of this solution)

Any thoughts
Old 12-30-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Different spacer, different shocks, limiting strap.....
Is TF giving you any of these?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

If you still have the stock rubi shocks, do #2
If not consider the cost, and nothing wrong with limiting straps. But the shock solutions is most proper.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tambil68
Common sense would tell you that you should read the instructions, which include a list of what is supposed to be there in the package. You might have made a mistake before too. (and we don't know that TF did make any mistake on this kit...as of yet)

IF you do not have experience doing any modification that YOUR life and someone elses life might depend on then you should get experienced help or let a pro do it.

Like my 6" TF LA kit... it required welding which I havent done is twenty years.. so off to the pros it went, since my life will be riding on those welds..and YEP you guessed it, before it left the shop I inspected every weld and every bolt.
Not that I didn't trust them, but its my LIFE and MY responsibility to make sure its right.

To the OP, spring orientation correct? I will have to take a pic in the morning of my spring set up.. and if TF doesn't beat me to it... I will post up.

I did read the instructions many times before I got the kit and before I installed the kit. I also called david where I bought the kit as well as joe and responses were that they really were not needed. and I have more than enough experience to swap some coils and install shock extensions. but if you read many of the threads on here pertaining to teraflex and there are many others that have parts not listed in the directions, parts not included per the instructions as well as parts that do not match the description of the part. it is usually the rubber spring spacers and the rear spring retaining bolt set up. I am not slamming them, I am just stating the things read on this forum and my experience.

Quick Reply: rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?