Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift

Originally Posted by popo343
That was the first thing i notice in the picture too. That it appears the bottom of the coil spring is being pulled to the right. So if the left side rear is at full droop it probably would give the spring enough to kick out of the top.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe the axle is "pulling" the Teraflex 2.5" lift coil on full droop - looks more like it just falls out of place as there is nothing to retain the upper portion (in the below pic, the upper portion of the coil has fallen to the left). By the way, my TF rear track bar relocation bracket, although a ridiculous pain to install, did center my rear axle almost perfectly best that I can tell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TF Shock Droop.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	17850
Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
I think you mean trackbar ??? Yes, the rear is a factory trackbar with the the TereFlex trackbar relocation bracket on the passenger side.
I have never seen or heard of a rear trackbar re-local bracket on the passenger/right side of the vehicle This just goes against all common sense, maybe the people @ TF or the people who installed the lift are aliens and our laws of physics do not apply
Old 01-16-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nangulator
I have never seen or heard of a rear trackbar re-local bracket on the passenger/right side of the vehicle This just goes against all common sense, maybe the people @ TF or the people who installed the lift are aliens and our laws of physics do not apply
???? I've seen the rear brackets on the drivers side (tube) busted off. The brackets on the passenger side (frame) typically hold up.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

TF has a bracket for the trackbar that attaches to the frame on the passenger side and is designed to help
keep the TB more level or horizontal.
But, talking with TF, it is really not needed if an adjustable TB is used.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Junkie

Images of TF "passenger/right side" relocation bracket can be found here ---> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...920#post695920
Old 01-17-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Junkie

Really ??? that's surprising you've never heard of it as several manufactures make it...TeraFlex, BDS, Rough Country for this lift and bigger lifts.

TeraFlex:

BDS:

Rough Country:
Old 01-17-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

I didn't see that info (trackbar relocation kit) on the first posts and it would definitely correct any angle distortion probs as long as it was specific to the lift.

Hope I didn't confuse the whole matter, just trying to help from a different angle.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HG97TJ
I'm really leaning towards shorter rear shocks as a solution... I just saw first hand with the Jeep up on a lift how much space there is between the factory isolator and the spring bucket and it's much more than 1/2". I just think these 28" extended 9550 shocks are too long for this application and I could still see the potential for that spring to move around even with the 1/2" spacer. As far as using the Currie spring retainer I think you be asking too much of it on both the top and bottom to keep that spring in tact. It would be "stretching" that rear spring at least a few inches under full extension and that's a lot of pressure on both ends of the spring retainers.

Here's what the rear coils look like with the Jeep up on a lift and also what we had to do to keep the coils straight as we lowered the Jeep off the lift since the coils were not contacting the spring buckets...

Well I'm re-installing the factory Rubicon rear shocks with TeraFlex extensions today to correct this issue... I'm anxious to see what difference it makes under full extension in terms of the rear coil staying properly seated. I realize I'm loosing 3" of additional down travel removing these 9550 shocks but I'd rather keep it safe and keep the coils in tact since I decided against installing the 1/2" coil/spring guide that now ships with these shocks in this 2.5" kit. Thanks again Joe at TeraFlex for the great customer service and help along the way
Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Junkie

Default Currie Rear Coil Retainer Update

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Only kit #1251000 (2.5"-4 coils and 4 TeraFlex shocks) will need/have the 1/2" spacers that have coil guide (about 4" long). The coil guides are used to guide the coil back to their seated position. The TeraFlex shocks are 2.59" (rear) and 1.89" (front) longer than stock shocks with 2.5" extensions.

So if you have a 2.5" coil kit with shock extensions, your fine.
Have had my Currie Rear Coil Retainers installed for some time now, but never posted a pic or an update. Basically, they have performed as intended. No coils flopping out while flexing on the trails with my long Teraflex 9550 shocks.

These were needed to address the issue noted in this thread - extra long TeraFlex 9550 shocks (for the 4" coil kits) being packaged with the TF 2.5" coil kit thereby allowing greater droop than the 2.5" coil could handle, occasionally resulting in dislocation of the coil. All is good now.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Have had my Currie Rear Coil Retainers installed for some time now, but never posted a pic or an update. Basically, they have performed as intended. No coils flopping out while flexing on the trails with my long Teraflex 9550 shocks.

These were needed to address the issue noted in this thread - extra long TeraFlex 9550 shocks (for the 4" coil kits) being packaged with the TF 2.5" coil kit thereby allowing greater droop than the 2.5" coil could handle, occasionally resulting in dislocation of the coil. All is good now.

Good to know JK-Rubi. Thanks for posting your solution. I opted for shorter shocks to avoid adding that spacer/coil retainer that now comes with the kit.

Quick Reply: rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?