Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nangulator

Something is traveling a little to far, your rear brake hose looks as tight as a piano string in this pic
I was thinking the same thing. Instead of the shocks being the limiting factor, it looks more like the brake lines are holding all the weight.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by benmar2000
That is good to know.. I will keep an eye on this issue for sure and I am going to wait on my install until a solution is found.. As for being stuck on the street, that does suck..
Benmar - Just curious if you installed your lift yet and if you saw the same result I posted in this thread with the rear coils after you had the 9550 shocks installed.

I opted to go with the factory Rubi shocks with TF shock extensions for the rear for the time being. This shock setup extends to only 25" (as opposed to 28") which should solve the problem for me without changing the current stance of the Jeep.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Junkie

For what it's worth I came up with a list of shocks that are sold with various 2.0-2.5" JK lift kits and their respective collapsed/extended lengths for comparison. For the time being to get around this problem I'm going to install stock Rubi shocks with TeraFlex shock extensions instead of the 9550's.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Also looking at the pic, is that the stock sway bar ? I noticed in your profile you have a Full Traction adj. track bar, front and rear ? or just front ? if so that could be adding to the prob.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Wide; 01-12-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Wide
Also looking at the pic, is that the stock sway bar ? if so that could be adding to the prob.

Just a thought.

What specifically about the stock sway bar could be causing the problem ???
Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

With the stock trackbar being too short it would pull the diff. to the passenger side when the body is raised causing the springs to lean over like they look in the pic.

Just an observation.

I have used the trackbar as an adj. tool in our race cars for years and am quite familiar with its effect on suspensions.

Also we had to adj. ours quite a-bit on our 3" lifts to get it centered.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ogie
I just installed the Currie rear spring retainer kit. Good thingI did, too...when I jacked up the back and had the rear tires off the ground, the rear springs popped out of position at the top.
Ogie - I'm curious which shocks you have that the rear springs popped out when you raised it ?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Default track bar

Also looking at the pic, is that the stock sway bar ? I noticed in your profile you have a Full Traction adj. track bar, front and rear ? or just front ? if so that could be adding to the prob.

Just a thought.
That was the first thing i notice in the picture too. That it appears the bottom of the coil spring is being pulled to the right. So if the left side rear is at full droop it probally would give the spring enough to kick out of the top.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by popo343
That was the first thing i notice in the picture too. That it appears the bottom of the coil spring is being pulled to the right. So if the left side rear is at full droop it probally would give the spring enough to kick out of the top.
Which to me points to the underlying problem that "full droop" is too much for these coils with the TF 9550 shocks. Shorter shocks being installed soon ... and possibly the Currie coil retainer just for added insurance
Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Also looking at the pic, is that the stock sway bar?
I think you mean trackbar ??? Yes, the rear is a factory trackbar with the the TereFlex trackbar relocation bracket on the passenger side.

Quick Reply: rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?