Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Old 12-29-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?

Is this common when flexing I did some light off-roading yesterday and while washing underneath I noticed the driver side rear coil was shifted off-center in the perch. The spring isolator is still in tact between the spring and perch. I'm taking it to my buddy's lift so I can re-seat the spring but was wondering if this has happened to anyone else especially those that do heavy flexing ??? I have the TeraFlex 2.5" coil kit.

Last edited by HG07JKRubi; 12-29-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

when you installed the lift, did you make sure the end of the spring was in the little divet on the base? if you didn't that could have an effect.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

he was supposed to get was the same thing that I did not get in my kit as well was the aluminum nut/washer, bolt, and special wrench that was/is supposed to be included to secure the spring from coming out of the bottom, but why it came out of the top is a mystery. Good thing that it didn't fall out on the trail.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

Wild! Almost looks like it wasn't seated properly to begin with. I actually thought I had mine seated right at first try, then jerked it around real good and felt it suddenly seat even deeper in the well so I made sure to check it on both.

That said, I'm going to watch mine for a bit.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by N2rock
+1

Your shocks are apparently too long and they did not limit the downward travel properly.

Not sure I get it. I have the Teraflex 9550 shocks that come with the the 2.5" Teraflex coil kit
Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

You didn't install the shock extensions on those did you?

I don't think that kit would have come with it, but just checking.

I am using the standard rubicon shocks with extensions just for clarification
Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rob4607
he was supposed to get was the same thing that I did not get in my kit as well was the aluminum nut/washer, bolt, and special wrench that was/is supposed to be included to secure the spring from coming out of the bottom, but why it came out of the top is a mystery. Good thing that it didn't fall out on the trail.
I did get that washer you mentioned and you can kinda see it in the picture...but that's on the bottom and it looks like it did it's job as the shock stayed attached on the bottom. But it's the top where the spring fell out

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2008, 04:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
You didn't install the shock extensions on those did you?

I don't think that kit would have come with it, but just checking.
No...I'm using the Teraflex 9550 shocks.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

Yeah I saw that. Didn't know if maybe your kit was messed up and you had some how gotten the extensions WITH the longer shocks, and may have installed the extensions anyways.

It's an odd issue to say the least. Unfortunately I suppose only someone else using the TF shocks could help you there. Only other thing I can think of is maybe the coil wasnt seated perfectly.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well that would make sense why it stayed in, that sucks. I know ALOT of guys are real happy with the Teraflex kit, i'm on the fence. I am having issues as well but nothing as bad as that, that could have been a real nightmare if you didn't have the spring securing bolt set up, if that would have came out on your return trip and went through a windshield or something, damn.

Quick Reply: rear spring shifted out of place - is this common?