Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear shock mount driver's side rusted through.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen

Thx, everyone. I have never messed with shocks before so if I buy a single shock rather than getting a new set(my truck has 42K on it), how hard is it to mount?
BTW, I do not intend on having the shop do any more than replacing that one shock at best if not just re-mounting the old one and replacing the torn boot if applicable.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
Thx, everyone. I have never messed with shocks before so if I buy a single shock rather than getting a new set(my truck has 42K on it), how hard is it to mount?
if you can turn a wrench, you can change the shock. Easiest thing to do. Easier than an oil change.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:56 PM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New shock w/ stock/factory bar pin or the bar pin eliminators? I'm assuming you have the tools.. the only challenge (in my case) was that I didn't have the tools to do the job right.. But lucky me, called the wife and had her bring home the deep socket set for the bushings.. that's why I suggested the bar pin eliminators.. way easier than trying to force the stock or factory bar pins through the loops.. but some shocks already have these mounted.. Daystar/Skyjackers didn't. Several write ups around the net on this..
Start with this, on my Build Thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-g...2/#post3988153
Follow it down to the next thread.. should give you a few suggestions.. or searching the web or the forums would prove fruitful.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 on bar pin eliminators. I had them with my old shocks and they were nice.

OME now and pins were already installed so I sold them.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuv
X2 on bar pin eliminators. I had them with my old shocks and they were nice.

OME now and pins were already installed so I sold them.
BPE's sound like a great option. Since I'm on vacation I'll let the shop fix me up as long as they don't quote me some outrageous price. I'm driving from Florida to NC so I don't want to spend a whole lot of time wrenching. Sounds like bar pin Eliminators are in my future though.

Quick Reply: Rear shock mount driver's side rusted through.