Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Seat Belt Idea (4 door).

Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto, to that. I couldnt live with my self if my idea got them hurt. The only true fix is to send them to a shop and have the belt replaced with a longer belt. Or redo your cage and move the attachment points. Which would cost less? Well the seat belt webbing is about 50-70 cent a foot so id say a shop would do it for about 75-100 dollors time and labor. Call your local seam shop that does custom auto tops and seats. I bet they can hook you up.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

tell ya what, since you seem to be stuck on this idea, go ahead, modify seatbelts that are a safety feature. when you wreck and your backseat passengers are killed because you modified the seatbelts to a less sturdy location, lets see what you say then.

are you an engineer? do you carry an engineering degree? do you know the psychics behind all the stress points, load ranges, angles for the locking mechanism, speeds and forces at which parts need to engage? see where i am going with this. im sure it can get annoying, but i would hate to see anyone in our jeep community kill someone over a mod. plus if you live the accident, not only will you have to mentally live with this for the rest of your life, but you will be held legally liable and charges of criminal negligence and civil will most likely be brought up against you. like a few others have said, this is a bad idea.

dude, just leave it alone. have you thought about maybe you have a problem with the ratchets? have you lubed anything up? i do not have this problem with mine, then again maybe mine are the ones messed up if mine ARE NOT doing this. i have had 300 lb men in the rear seat and zero issues. so maybe mine are messed up then. i will look into mine.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
... Unless your passengers are REALLY big or they have a habit of pulling the belts out all the way when they latch them, the belts shouldn't be in ALR mode.
Good theory, lousy execution. I hate to ride in the back seats because mine lock up so easily. I don't consider myself REALLY big, either.

Note: Pic is after flash flooding caught us on day four of a Ouachita Trail backpacking trip. I agree, though, I wouldn't modify the back seatbelts.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that I hate them being where they, and think they could have been designed better, but I would never think about moving them or modding them... Just wouldn't be safe. I was thinking of a clip or a velcro strap to hold the sholder piece down to the sholder of the back seats... My "little" (he is 29) brother is the only one who really rides back there from time to time and I know the strap rubs his neck but have not heard him complain about it locking up.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm 6'3" 250 and rode in the back of mine for the first time the other day. It locked up as soon as it buckled. I realized it was because I pulled it out too far to buckle it. It worked fine as long as I sat completely still and didn't lean forward more than an inch or two. It was a pain in the arse to say the least. I don't consider it an issue because my kids are the main backseat riders and it doesn't seem to do it too them. My wife does all her backseat driving from right next to me in the passenger seat so it is a moot point with her too! I am not a rotund man either. I agree that the belt itself is just a tad too short for most above average size people and that causes it to go into the lockup mode.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

OK, I still don't get it.
I just went outside to understand what is being reported.
My outboard rear belts don't go into ALR mode until I'm within about 6 inches of the end of the belt.

I'm 6'3" and 240 pounds, so I'm not a small guy.
With the buckle engaged and belt around my hips, I have to pull the shoulder portion almost to the back of the front seat before ALR mode engages.
Unless Chrysler shortened the belts for everything but my '08 Unlimited, I'm not seeing the problem.

Are you sure the anchor portion beside the seat is properly routed? It's easy for it to get twisted and stuck behind the seat back, which shortens it up quite a bit.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know my belts are routed correctly, but maybe there is a difference in year models. Mine is a 2010. I don't think its that big of a deal. But, kids and teens are the usual passengers 99% of the time. The things flapping in the wind with the top off is more of a pain to me, but that was an easy fix.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
OK, I still don't get it.
I just went outside to understand what is being reported.
My outboard rear belts don't go into ALR mode until I'm within about 6 inches of the end of the belt.

I'm 6'3" and 240 pounds, so I'm not a small guy.
With the buckle engaged and belt around my hips, I have to pull the shoulder portion almost to the back of the front seat before ALR mode engages.
Unless Chrysler shortened the belts for everything but my '08 Unlimited, I'm not seeing the problem.

Are you sure the anchor portion beside the seat is properly routed? It's easy for it to get twisted and stuck behind the seat back, which shortens it up quite a bit.
It is the same belt as the 2dr. Haha, I get a kick out of them. Every time i ride in the back I fall asleep and they seem to hold me up haha.

An, as for changing the belt out for a longer belt. That is totally safe. The places that make custom stuff have the right tools to make it right. No danger with this as the webbing is way stronger then youll ever need, and your not changing any of its design features. I think if they can sew up a harness for you butt to hang on the side of a rock, Id say I trust my life in them in a jeep.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captjay
tell ya what, since you seem to be stuck on this idea, go ahead, modify seatbelts that are a safety feature. when you wreck and your backseat passengers are killed because you modified the seatbelts to a less sturdy location, lets see what you say then.

are you an engineer? do you carry an engineering degree? do you know the psychics behind all the stress points, load ranges, angles for the locking mechanism, speeds and forces at which parts need to engage? see where i am going with this. im sure it can get annoying, but i would hate to see anyone in our jeep community kill someone over a mod. plus if you live the accident, not only will you have to mentally live with this for the rest of your life, but you will be held legally liable and charges of criminal negligence and civil will most likely be brought up against you. like a few others have said, this is a bad idea.

dude, just leave it alone. have you thought about maybe you have a problem with the ratchets? have you lubed anything up? i do not have this problem with mine, then again maybe mine are the ones messed up if mine ARE NOT doing this. i have had 300 lb men in the rear seat and zero issues. so maybe mine are messed up then. i will look into mine.
Yes I did think of All of that. Do I have the degree not yet it's just a piece of paper anyway. Do I have the background. Yes.

Did you actually read the damn post? Apparently not. I was asking if it has been done. I was asking if anyone has thought about something other than a crap ass potato chip clip (no offense. It's a good idea just not for me). I've read the other threads and the only solution has been the clip. It's like apple's solution to the crappy reception on the Iphone. A case won't help a damn bit. They should have put more thought into the engineering and design of the damn thing. Not say We're sorry. Here's a free case.

I'm not one to use "home Depot" mods on anything important to the vehicle. Did you notice that this isn't the show and tell section? Did you notice that the pictures that I posted were HORRIBLY photoshopped for a reason?

I don't know why you jumped my ass in the first place. You asked what I was trying to accomplish and I responded.

If the side of the rear seat isn't good for the belt then why is the middle? Most rear seats are just made up of sheet metal with re enforcements to make it sturdy enough to hold the avg person. I've seen the inside of most vehicles. I Know.

If the seat isn't able to withstand the forces then WHY would Jeep use one connected to the seat?

Originally Posted by 98jeepboy
It is the same belt as the 2dr. Haha, I get a kick out of them. Every time i ride in the back I fall asleep and they seem to hold me up haha.

An, as for changing the belt out for a longer belt. That is totally safe. The places that make custom stuff have the right tools to make it right. No danger with this as the webbing is way stronger then youll ever need, and your not changing any of its design features. I think if they can sew up a harness for you butt to hang on the side of a rock, Id say I trust my life in them in a jeep.
I like the idea of getting a longer belt. Any links on where to get these?

I would rather change out the OEM belt for a longer one than cut up a perfectly good seat.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by abock33
Did you actually read the damn post? Apparently not. I was asking if it has been done. I was asking if anyone has thought about something other than a crap ass potato chip clip (no offense. It's a good idea just not for me). I've read the other threads and the only solution has been the clip. It's like apple's solution to the crappy reception on the Iphone. A case won't help a damn bit. They should have put more thought into the engineering and design of the damn thing. Not say We're sorry. Here's a free case.
I laughed because that's just what it is. But it keeps the passengers comfortable and buckled in.
I can appreciate your aggravation.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Belt Idea (4 door).