Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Seat Belt Idea (4 door).

Old 08-23-2010, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat Belt Idea (4 door).

So I'm sitting bored at work and I'm thinking about my rear seatbelts and ways to fix them. (Yea I got that kinda time at work). I can't stand the fact that the rear belts lock up and I've been looking at ways to fix this.

I found a solution and was wondering if anyone has done this.

Can you install the center belt into the sides of the seats? Two assembly would run about 150 bucks. I haven't taken my seat apart to see if it can be done but all (I think) would have to be done is a little cutting, sewing, and a few bolts here and there.

I don't know why they weren't put there in the first place. And I don't really wanna use a belt extender.

Has anyone done this?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not really sure what u are trying to accomplish, but

my guess why any seatbelt is not mounted to the sides of a seat is its not a good anchor point and would not be able to withstand the force from an impact
Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I realize they wouldn't be as strong as the oem belts but I think Jeep could have put the ratcheting system closer to the seat instead of by the tailgate. My thought was to get rid of them and use the center belt setup for the side seats. That one comes out of the bench seat back I can't see where its secured to anything but I would assume it'd hooked to the seat somewhere.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

This was very annoying to my rear seat passengers on a 3 hour trip recently. They kept trying to ride unbelted on the sly.
This is what I came up with:

Old 08-24-2010, 04:46 AM
JK Super Freak

I guess I don't get what's happening.
The seatbelts are "dual mode ALR/ELR," which means they ratchet only after being pulled out past the ALR trigger. They should only lock up in ELR mode when there is sufficient vehicle orientation, acceleration, or belt webbing acceleration to warrant lockup.
ALR mode is for kiddie car seats, so they stay tight.
Unless your passengers are REALLY big or they have a habit of pulling the belts out all the way when they latch them, the belts shouldn't be in ALR mode.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
I guess I don't get what's happening.
The seatbelts are "dual mode ALR/ELR," which means they ratchet only after being pulled out past the ALR trigger. They should only lock up in ELR mode when there is sufficient vehicle orientation, acceleration, or belt webbing acceleration to warrant lockup.
ALR mode is for kiddie car seats, so they stay tight.
Unless your passengers are REALLY big or they have a habit of pulling the belts out all the way when they latch them, the belts shouldn't be in ALR mode.
That is all true, except the passenger doesn't have to be "REALLY big".
I originally thought that was the case, but since then I have noticed it happening on "slightly bigger than average" passengers.
The clip will work for anyone who finds the feature annoying, and it "fixes" it with no modifications.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

What's happening is the belt is pulled out and the ratcheting starts too soon. I know it's there for safety and is doing it's job but it happens when you put the belt on, so as soon as you let go it ratchets back strangling the passenger or tightening them to the seat. The main flaw in the system is where the anchor and pivot point are located. There is too much belt out due to the mounts.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to do this.

I know it's not as sturdy as the ones on the rollbar but I would be using the same set up as the one in the middle. And that one is approved for where it's at (on the side of the seat.) It also ratchets, but it takes alot more belt to do it.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Hkx3
Jesus sometimes I wonder why you guys buy these things at all.

Doesnt Lexus build Suvs still?

I weigh 219-229 depending on how Ive watched my eating/exercising. I am 6'3" and have had no problems out of my 4 door, or my friends.
Because it's so much fun to work on them.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

This whole thing kinda seems like a bad idea. You're in a vehicle most prone to rolling out of all cars and you want to mess with the seat belts? Ballsy dude
Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Arcticanalog
This whole thing kinda seems like a bad idea. You're in a vehicle most prone to rolling out of all cars and you want to mess with the seat belts? Ballsy dude
x2 I wouldn't screw around with the seat belts. I'd feel pretty bad if it cost a friend or relatives life if the belt failed.

The potato-chip-clip idea looks pretty good. It's simple, safe and cheap

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Belt Idea (4 door).