Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear pinion bearing install question

Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rear pinion bearing install question

i am doing a gear change and i have come across an issue i need some help with. i would like to hear from jeepers that have done this. the new rear pinion bearing ( the one that is on the drive shaft side) is not a slip fit. it has .003 crush. my question is how did you get the bearing on the pinion as the pinion is in the housing at this point and a press can not be used. what am i missing? thanks for the help.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every pinion bearing i have ever installed will slide on far enough to install the yoke and pull the pinion into the bearing by tightening the nut. Hope that helps.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can try putting the bearing under a heat lamp, or in the oven for a few minutes to expand it slightly. Don't use a torch it will heat unevenly. Put some cold packs on the pinion for as much good as that will do. Then use the pinion nut to cinch everything together. Just be aware that when setting pinion pre load your going to have to pull everything together before it starts crushing the sleeve and that in itself can take plenty of torque....so go slow and keep checking to make sure you're taking out the slack.
Tip for next time...put the pinion in the freezer before you're ready for final assembly, then work quick to put the pinion in the housing fully assembled...good luck!

Last edited by BlackNorthernJK; 10-17-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: rear pinion bearing install question