Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Main Seal Replacement?

Old 01-13-2021, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal Replacement?

I have an oil leak that the dealer said may be the rear main seal. It's the 3.8 Rubicon 2011 with 80K miles on it. In case that is the issue, what is the price I should expect to have this replaced?
Also they turned the front drive shaft by hand and got some play in it. They say the drive shaft should be replaced but I think it may be the joint that is worn instead. Can't the factory shafts be rebuilt or do they just not want to do that? What aftermarked shaft would I look at just in case? They also said I would need a yoke with an aftermarket shaft?
I don't want to "get the shaft" heh.heh.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

First, you can get aftermarket shafts that bolt up to the factory flange. The u-joint in the factory shaft is not meant to be replaceable. The CV joint on the TC side could be rebuilt with the TF kit. If they are finding play I presume they're talking about in the u-joint. I'd deal with the oil issue and not worry about that for the moment till you can inspect yourself better to verify and then make a more educated decision about what direction you want to take. It's not going to explode on you just cuz they highlight it. Just keep it in mind.

I've not done RMS on a jeep or the 3.8L, but I've had a few replaced by dealers on different vehicles. the cost ranged from $800-1k on the 2 or so I ponied up for.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
azphoto (01-13-2021), Eric Groenberg (04-19-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azphoto
I have an oil leak that the dealer said may be the rear main seal. It's the 3.8 Rubicon 2011 with 80K miles on it. In case that is the issue, what is the price I should expect to have this replaced?
Also they turned the front drive shaft by hand and got some play in it. They say the drive shaft should be replaced but I think it may be the joint that is worn instead. Can't the factory shafts be rebuilt or do they just not want to do that? What aftermarked shaft would I look at just in case? They also said I would need a yoke with an aftermarket shaft?
I don't want to "get the shaft" heh.heh.
UPDATE. Further investigation amazingly showed that the major oil leak was not from the rear main seal.
It was from the oil filter that the dealer improperly failed to tighten when they changed the oil.
And they were more than ready to sell me a $1000 repair job.
No wonder they call them "the stealer".
The following 2 users liked this post by azphoto:
doc5339 (01-17-2021), Mark Doiron (01-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal Replacement?