Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear lower control arm ?'s

Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Doesn't the pinion rotate up when you lift?

Nevermind, I was thinking of it backwards. The lower CA would have to be shorter than OEM.

He has a stock shaft, they are both CV joints. And most aftermarket will have a double-cardan style CV joint at the transfer case. With either of these arrangements, I think, you want the pinion angle to only be 1 degree lower than straight.

Like this:

Last edited by ShutterBug; 04-20-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
He has a stock shaft, they are both CV joints. And most aftermarket will have a double-cardan style CV joint at the transfer case. With either of these arrangements, I think, you want the pinion angle to only be 1 degree lower than straight.

Like this:

So that's for any constant velocity joint like the rzeppa too, not just double cardans?

I'll never get this driveshaft thing understood.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock Rzeppa can run at almost any angle. The issue being the boot at the TC stresses and will eventually tear.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
The stock Rzeppa can run at almost any angle. The issue being the boot at the TC stresses and will eventually tear.
But what is the proper pinion angle with a rzeppa?

The top one looks like you have a much more flexible joint at the trans so you angle the pinion to let that joint take the misalignment. The bottom one looks like both joints are the same so you split the angle between the two. With two rzeppas the bottom one makes sense to me. But if I understand correctly it's the top one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Pinion Angle.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	644447  

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-20-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So that's for any constant velocity joint like the rzeppa too, not just double cardans?

I'll never get this driveshaft thing understood.
From what I understand (I am no expert), since the RZerppa is a CV joint, it can operate at any angle.

It's the same reason RCV axle shafts don't bind the same way that a standard U-Joint axle will.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would agree with Shutterbug. I did some reading about angles and some shop experience. The Rzeppa is a CV joint, just like those found on FWD cars. There are limits to the angle but much more than the standard u-joint. The Rzeppa is mainly limited by the boot shape. Ideally both joints should point directly toward each other.

Even if you get the pinion angle ideal with the driveshaft, the angle will be off at the transfer case; again limited by the boot shape of the Rzeppa joint. Then could go on to debate that the springs will bow due to the tilt of the spring perches.

I think in my case, it won't be an issue. I haven't had a chance to get it out much. Its not my DD and doing a few other things. With the length of the unlimited, and my minimal lift, it won't be a concern.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hoopskier
I went with the jks arms, beefy compared to the originals.
I just ordered a set from Northridge. These will pair nicely with my 2"x.281" DOM front lower EVO arms!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:43 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks, guys. The science just doesn't make sense to me. The double cardan by its very nature splits the DS angle in half among its two joints. Problem solved. The rzeppa doesn't. So why force the entire angle on one joint? And if you do, why install a second rzeppa rather than a much cheaper, perfectly good, tried and true option of a single cardan? Why have two rzeppas. Double cardan drive shafts don't have 2 double cardans. And the factory is dealing with a smaller angle than a lifted Jeep.

The questions are rhetorical. Not looking for any answers. These are just the things that make me go hmmmm.

Appreciate the help but I'll stick with sparky stuff.

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-21-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks, guys. The science just doesn't make sense to me. The double cardan by its very nature splits the DS angle in half among its two joints. Problem solved. The rzeppa doesn't. So why force the entire angle on one joint? And if you do, why install a second rzeppa rather than a much cheaper, perfectly good, tried and true option of a single cardan? Why have two rzeppas. Double cardan drive shafts don't have 2 double cardans. And the factory is dealing with a smaller angle than a lifted Jeep. The questions are rhetorical. Not looking for any answers. These are just the things that make me go hmmmm. Appreciate the help but I'll stick with sparky stuff.
AEV tried it, TF now has a dual Rzeppa driveshaft but if you look the housings are different to allow a steeper angle.
Actually here, this is a stock joint rebuilt with TF's kit
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4034334044.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	644480  
Old 04-21-2016, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10

AEV tried it, TF now has a dual Rzeppa driveshaft but if you look the housings are different to allow a steeper angle.
Actually here, this is a stock joint rebuilt with TF's kit
Not to mention with a double cardan if you're off an ass hair on your pinion angle they vibrate

Quick Reply: Rear lower control arm ?'s