Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear locker

Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear locker

what is the best locker for a jk rear, i have a x model and would like to lock my rear up, also if selectable would want to be able to engage in 2 wheel drive
Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using an Eaton E-locker in the rear of my X. I have been satisfied so far. No compressors, air lines, or cables to monkey with. I also know a guy who has em in his jeep, and has wheeled extensively with no issues.

Its the same thing the Hummers use, only these after-market ones are built stronger than the OE versions. Oh, and it is selectable in 2WD.

ARBs are a solid choice too.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best locker is a spool. However, that's a bit extreme on the street. If you want a locker, I would look at something like an Aussie if they are available for the Dana 44 or perhaps the Lock Right from Richmond Gear. Neither of these are anywhere near as aggressive as the Detroit locker and will probably work well on the street in Alabama. I imagine yall are like us in georgia and don't see a lot of ice and snow.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, if snow/ice is something you have to drive in, a selectable locker like what ARB makes is the way to go. otherwise, a detroit or aussie locker will do the job just fine.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's true, in lockerland, the detroit is king......but remember what I said. Detroits are VERY aggressive. They do not unlock until they absolutely HAVE to and when they do, they are very loud. So much so that you can actually feel them disengage. THe Aussie or Lock Right have much smaller preload springs and are much more suited to street conditions than the Detroit.

Quick Reply: rear locker