Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear License Plate Relocation and Light

Old 04-04-2016, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear License Plate Relocation and Light

I smashed in the stock license plate bracket for the 3rd time, so it's finally time to relocate it. I am already running the terraflex hinged carrier and 3rd brake light relocation and would like to have my license plate below it. All the kits I have seen add a brake light, and I'd really not like to run 4 lights. I could take the stock relocated one off, but just trying to look at my options.

Any ideas? What have you done?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teraflex has a kit that runs the stock brake light and attaches the license plate. You still have to wire a light for illuminating the license plate ( if required where you live). I hacked the light off the stock license plate holder and reused it.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Broncorif
Teraflex has a kit that runs the stock brake light and attaches the license plate. You still have to wire a light for illuminating the license plate ( if required where you live). I hacked the light off the stock license plate holder and reused it.
How did you route the wiring for the light up to the rear carrier?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tapped the white/purple behind the passenger tail light and ran the wire inside the stock retaining strap, under the plastic strip across the tailgate, and then out through the same hole as the stock wires.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

I'm using Rock hard 4x4 license plate relocation kit. Couldn't be happier with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lTWaL4Q.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	679315

Old 04-04-2016, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
How did you route the wiring for the light up to the rear carrier?
Because I'm a novice with electrical and didnt want to splice into factory wiring, I cut the factory license plate wiring and extended the wiring long enough to run inside the jeep up the rollbar and under the rollbar padding. Then ran the wire through the plastic trim and followed the rear tailgate wiring to the tire carrier. This allowed me to use the oem connectors and the oem light.

And I can go back to stock by just buying a new license plate holder and not have to change wiring. Although, probably never going back to stock.

Quick Reply: Rear License Plate Relocation and Light