Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Hitch Metal or Aluminium Cargo Carrier / Rack Recommendations?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Hitch Metal or Aluminium Cargo Carrier / Rack Recommendations?

Hi Everybody,

Have an 08 Rubi Unlimited. Been thinking about getting one of those cargo basket / carriers that connects via your tow hitch. Just wondering if you have recommendations?

I am not sure if its better to go with the black painted metal style? Or go with the aluminium version? Those seem to be the two I have seen at places like Harbor Frieght Tools, etc.

I would prefer to spend more and get one thats heavier duty, good quality, will look good on my jeep - but that also is fully functional - that I know will last me a long time and look good a long time. Do it once, and do it right (I guess you could say).

Would love your recommendations, pictures if you own one that you like, etc, etc.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

If this is the one I am thinking of, it connects into your receiver. I am not sure, but I thought these were just used when actually carrying something, and then removed when not needed. You say you want something that looks good on your JK, and I cannot see how these would ever be construed to "look good." Also, I was unsure of how stable they are. Hopefully someone else who has actually installed one will get in touch with you.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

I have a steel one I keep on all the time. 500lb weight limit. I figure it's a good buffer in case someone rear ends me. I have a body armor rear bumper w/ tire carrier also if they get through the basket that's my last line of defense.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a $50 steel one at walmart 60" x 24". weighs about 40 lbs +/-. One of my best purchases for my Jeep. No rust, can support up to 500lbs. It is made by Hidden Hitch.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

i have the steel one from Harbor freight. its nice. fairly heavy duty... i didnt like the look of the aluminum one. and the steel one was half the price at the time.. (on sale)

i got it for like $42.

the alum. one was $80.

iv been happy with it... very worth it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Aluminum one and it does what I need it to do. Looks funny but works when you need more room to put things. The strap is just to keep it from jumping around when I am off road going to my cabin.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

This tread has several different cargo racks and comments. There are a few other threads but this one has the most pics.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...go-basket-pics

I just ended up making my own. They are very handy and you don't have to be loading heavy stuff up on a roof rack that can sometimes be a pain. Used mine again two weeks ago. I went to the ranch and had to clear some trees. I only had about 100lbs on it. The road in is very rough but not once did I hear it rattle or feel it wobble around. I couldn't even tell it was on. I would say check out the pics and then see if you could find the ones you liked somewhere locally. That way you can see how sturdy they are.

Quick Reply: Rear Hitch Metal or Aluminium Cargo Carrier / Rack Recommendations?