Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear or Front locker first?

Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear or Front locker first?

First of all let me say I want to lock both the front and the rear. Now saying that I can afford only one at the moment. I am thinking of installing the Detroit in the rear first. Later I will install the Aussie up front with chromeoly axles.

That is my original plan I am cuorious about everyone elses imput on this. Should I do the front first and the rear later or stay as planned.

I have D30 front so the axles scare me, I want to install chromeolly shafts if I lock the front, or at least find some used axles as spares. With the D44 in the rear this is my strongest axle so it would make more sense to install the locker here first, then save up and upgrade the axleshafts in the front before locking the front.

Confused Jeeper please help!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

I would think with 35's you will be wanting to regear too. I know that with 33's I want to regear. So, if you are spending the money to put a locker in you might as well regear but you need to do both at the same time. I would just put that cash you have in a bank account and wait till you have the money for doing both.

I know that doesn't really answer your question though.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jptex
First of all let me say I want to lock both the front and the rear. Now saying that I can afford only one at the moment. I am thinking of installing the Detroit in the rear first. Later I will install the Aussie up front with chromeoly axles.

That is my original plan I am cuorious about everyone elses imput on this. Should I do the front first and the rear later or stay as planned.

I have D30 front so the axles scare me, I want to install chromeolly shafts if I lock the front, or at least find some used axles as spares. With the D44 in the rear this is my strongest axle so it would make more sense to install the locker here first, then save up and upgrade the axleshafts in the front before locking the front.

Confused Jeeper please help!

Wait and regear at the same time ...if not a selectable up front
Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

My local shop here charges $1600 on a regear and I can live with 4:10 for a little while.

Originally Posted by duneslider
I would think with 35's you will be wanting to regear too. I know that with 33's I want to regear. So, if you are spending the money to put a locker in you might as well regear but you need to do both at the same time. I would just put that cash you have in a bank account and wait till you have the money for doing both.

I know that doesn't really answer your question though.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pebblehoppertj
Wait and regear at the same time ...if not a selectable up front
I do not want a selectable I want an automatic locker, for the simplicity and the fact that it works every time. Not to mention I can install one in about 4 hours in my driveway, and I can get it for $260.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jptex
I do not want a selectable I want an automatic locker, for the simplicity and the fact that it works every time. Not to mention I can install one in about 4 hours in my driveway, and I can get it for $260.
I have one on my tj ( AUSSIE )
but it does reduce your turning radius when you are in 4wd

If I had the cash I would go ARB
Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

I would think you'd want a rear locker first....and depending on what you do, that might be good enough. An ox or such might work best as a locked rear all the time gets old.

As flat as Plano is you might be fine w/ the 4.10's. and your mileage wont suffer as bad. If you plan to crawl then put in the 4:1 reduction in your transfer case (like the Rubicons). Then you'll have the road gears and the ability to crawl when needed.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

I would have to search out the article, but some 4wd test site did a review on whether a front or rear locker would benefit you more. The tests were pretty conclusive that a front locker would benefit you more, simply because you generally have more articulation in your front end, so the wheels tend to be grounded more than the rear. I'll be doing the front first if I can afford to do the rear at the same time.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:34 AM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Definatell front first...you have a LSD in the rear already..also its proven you need traction up front more than in the rear....Definatelly do the rear aswell later tho..

KSK
Old 04-12-2008, 02:18 AM
JK Jedi

If your budget allows you can get a brand new bolt in D44 for the front from MOPAR with 4.10 gears and the selectable locker for about $1500. A selectable in the front is probably the better way to go. You can then add the Detroit in the rear whenever and be in pretty good shape.

Quick Reply: Rear or Front locker first?