Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Fender Liners JK

Old 05-14-2021, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rear Fender Liners JK

2 Door 2013 MOAB Build:
I am looking at installing MCE Factory Width Flat Fenders on my 2013 JK MOAB.
I am also seriously looking at the HyLine Front Inner Fender Liners which seem to be well liked.
Another Option would be the Paramount Plastic Inner Fender Liners (Front & Rear)
Most of the Flat Fender change outs that I have read about or watched involve installing after market Front Inner Fender Liners with the Flat Fenders. They also seem to skip over much mention of the rear wheel well. No mention of liners in the rear most of the time. Some talk about using a bed liner in the rear wheel wells.
Just wondering which way most end up going on the rear, Aluminum Liners, Plastic Liners, OR Spray on Protection?

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 05-14-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I think rear liners is money spent purely for cosmetics. There’s nothing there that needs protection, the spray liner is simply an easy and durable way to make it all black.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Front inner liners are visually appealing IMO vs. looking at that engine bay once you scrap the factory liners. Back in the day this wasn't a big enough issue to spend $300+ on, but now there are so many less expensive options that make sense. As far as the rear goes, I don't get it personally. There is zero function and it is 100% about looks. Unless you have some bills burning a hole in your pocket, I'd say don't worry about it. I've been fenderless and rear-fender liner-free for dang 6.5 years, so the area is prevalent so to speak. I've got a billet silver jeep and it doesn't bother me one bit to see silver body in the wheel well. If you don't care to see the body color, an $8 can of HF bedliner covers that up.

*****the only thing rear liners would conceal would be the extended breather line I have running up behind my passenger side taillight. ndb.

Last edited by resharp001; 05-14-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any thoughts on the Plastic Paramount Liners? I am "pretty sure" that they will function fine. They should not have any issues rattling. One piece design. They are supposed to hug the wheel well a little better than factory liners for more tire clearance. They must be a pretty new option as I could not locate any reviews at all on them. I believe they are basically the same as a cut down Factory Liner without the hacked up edges seen or many cut down liners, and no Zip Ties required to reinstall them. No powder coat or paint to scuff up is another plus. My best guess is that you would end up with what "appears to be" an unmodified factory wheel well using the Paramount Liners. NO WOW FACTOR just factory like liner function with your Flat Fenders. It would still be nice to have a review or two on them before being the one to do the first review.
I have read mixed reviews on aluminum liners, so reviews do not always help on decisions. One review is very positive and says they are the best thing since sliced bread, while the next complains that they rattled from day one and he/she has done everything to stop the rattle and ended up changing them out for another product after they gave up on them.
You do get the WOW FACTOR with several of the Front Aluminum Plate Liners. They are a billboard saying I did the Flat Fender Modification without cutting corners. I see the reason they are popular. They do give that CUSTOMIZED Look lots of us are looking for.

Bob R
Old 05-15-2021, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the lack of fender liners to be a HUGE pain when the Jeep encounters mud. I mean, I need to drain half the city's water supply just to get all of the mud and dirt out. I would recommend plastic liners as much as possible, just to make clean up easier.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaZielmeister
I find the lack of fender liners to be a HUGE pain when the Jeep encounters mud. I mean, I need to drain half the city's water supply just to get all of the mud and dirt out. I would recommend plastic liners as much as possible, just to make clean up easier.
Easy fix... stay out of the mud.
The following users liked this post:
B. C. (05-15-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I run the Fishbone aluminum inner fenders https://www.fishboneoffroad.com/prod...&idcategory=49 Match up pretty nicely with the metalcloak overland fenders, i also installed a KC rock light behind the front fish cutout so it blinks with my turn signal.

only picture i had that you can see the inner fenders
https://imgur.com/a/mzHAJrD

Last edited by Faalin; 05-19-2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

The MCE Flat Fenders and Plastic Liners have moved to the back burner for a while. I plan to still get them this Summer.
My factory radio died. It will probably not be missed.
My fender money went towards the purchase of a new Pioneer Double Din AVH 1550 Radio with all the goodies to make the Steering Wheel Controls, Back-up Camera, Navigation, Sirius Radio, Cel Phones, etc. work.
I am scheduled in the Shop on 2 June to get the radio installed. I am looking forward to seeing how I like the back-up camera, my old system did not have it. The wife and my phones should also be much handier to use with the updated system. Navigation will be something I am sure the wife will like to play with instead of using her phone.

I should have the front end back together on the Jeep early next week. I have my new M8000 (M8) Warn Winch installed in the AEV/MOAB behind bumper mount. The AEV Tubeless Bumper goes in the shop tomorrow to be chopped into a Crawler Bumper. I will have to get it refinished as soon as I get it back. I really wanted the Stubby Bumper and Flat Fenders to go on at the same time.

Bob R

Quick Reply: Rear Fender Liners JK