Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Expedition One Bumper Vibration

Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Expedition One Bumper Vibration

I've been running this rear tire carrier and bumper for about 5 months now. I'm just noticing a very slight visible vibration of the tire (37'') in my rear view mirror while driving around town. I can't remember if it was there when I first installed it, probably because I was too excited about my Jeep's transformation. I was just wondering if people could chime in on whether this could lead to serious issues like the carrier ripping off. Just getting thoughts on if this is normal or not. I know a 37'' Trail Grappler is a beefy tire. Anyone with this carrier would be of most help. There's no rattles or anything, everything seems solid and the install was simple enough. And here's a picture, who doesn't like pictures (day one).
Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would just call Expedition One, or send them a PM, and see what they have to say. My experience with them is top notch.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey5o3
I've been running this rear tire carrier and bumper for about 5 months now. I'm just noticing a very slight visible vibration of the tire (37'') in my rear view mirror while driving around town.
It's hard to tell on an internet forum how picky you're being, no offense.

A "very slight vibration" sounds like it isn't an issue. If you see it being worse and you are genuinely concerned then I'd suggest removing the silver end cap and tightening down the large arm nut.

Mine is solid, but when you consider the hefty weight of an oversize spare tire then slight vibrations are bound to occur over road potholes.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by westchester

It's hard to tell on an internet forum how picky you're being, no offense.

A "very slight vibration" sounds like it isn't an issue. If you see it being worse and you are genuinely concerned then I'd suggest removing the silver end cap and tightening down the large arm nut.

Mine is solid, but when you consider the hefty weight of an oversize spare tire then slight vibrations are bound to occur over road potholes.
No offense taken. I was on the fence whether this was worth bring up. I knew describing it would be tricky. When I close the tailgate by just the handle, the tire vibrates twice as much compared to what I see when driving. If I close the tailgate by pushing against the tire, the vibration is reduced, and it's still more than when I'm driving. Maybe I'm being picky and it's nothing to worry about, but this was more of what others experience was with this setup, which I thank you. I'll tighten it down and see, but any chance do you know at what torque? I feel I hit the "tight but not too tight" per the YouTube video.

I agree that vibrations over potholes are going to happen. You don't see anything near what I'm trying to describe if you were to peek at your spare while driving on the road?

I did email Expedition One and they just referred me to the YouTube video, so that was a little discouraging. Maybe I'll give them a call instead.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mikey5o3
I'll tighten it down and see, but any chance do you know at what torque? I feel I hit the "tight but not too tight" per the YouTube video.
No, it didnt use a torque wrench, just as Exp One and you said, tight.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

another thought, is your tire TIGHT against the swing arm ? In the install instructions, you adjust the slot and permantnetly tighten this sleeve's nut, so when the spare's lug nuts are tightened, the tire squeeze's and holds against the swing arm. ie the carrier keeps a spare with any BackSpace tight.

You'll know what I mean (I hope) given you read the Exp One instructions.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Exp One bumper with a 37x13.50/R17 Toyo and ATX Slab beadlock (about 125 lbs) mounted on it. It does vibrate slightly compared to the 35" BFG that I had on it previously. I think it is because the tire/wheel combo weighs so much.

The tire is solidly mounted on the back. When the tailgate is closed, I can't physically get the tire to move with my own strength. It has a slight front-to-back bounce against the swing arm mounting bracket when I close the tailgate hard and a slight side-to-side motion that I can see in my rear view mirror when the JK hits a pothole while driving down the road.

I think the side motion that I see in my rear view mirror is because the bumper is mounted on the frame and the carrier is tied into bumper and the door frame. The frame flexes hitting the pothole, but the door does not, so the tire has a slight sideways left-to-right motion that is more noticeable with a larger diameter tire. It was probably happening with my 35" tire too, but I didn't notice the movement because of the smaller size and weight.

I'm not worried about it. I think it is normal. As was already mentioned, check the tension on the wheel bearings where the swing arm connects to the bumper. Yours might need to be tightened if your swing arm mount on the door is adjusted correctly.

Last edited by bo9roadking; 04-12-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by westchester
another thought, is your tire TIGHT against the swing arm ? In the install instructions, you adjust the slot and permantnetly tighten this sleeve's nut, so when the spare's lug nuts are tightened, the tire squeeze's and holds against the swing arm. ie the carrier keeps a spare with any BackSpace tight.

You'll know what I mean (I hope) given you read the Exp One instructions.
Yeah, it's tight against the the swing arm, thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bo9roadking

The tire is solidly mounted on the back. When the tailgate is closed, I can't physically get the tire to move with my own strength. It has a slight front-to-back bounce against the swing arm mounting bracket when I close the tailgate hard and a slight side-to-side motion that I can see in my rear view mirror when the JK hits a pothole while driving down the road.

I'm not worried about it. I think it is normal. As was already mentioned, check the tension on the wheel bearings where the swing arm connects to the bumper. Yours might need to be tightened if your swing arm mount on the door is adjusted correctly.
Your explanation makes a lot of sense. And what you describe is exactly what I'm experiencing. I'm feeling a little better now about it, thanks.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Does this look right? The carrier part there is somewhat clamped down even though the silver spacers spin freely.

Quick Reply: Rear Expedition One Bumper Vibration