Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear end collison protection from tire carrier?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgeeusmc20
Whats the reason for that?
The reasoning is that it would cause excessive damage to a vehicle that rear ends you. It's the same in NY. At least they haven't gone after steel bumpers, or worse, stinger bumpers. T-boneing a vehicle with a stinger would be pretty much a death sentence.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rear Ended

Originally Posted by wayoflife
most of the people i've known to get re-ended and had HD tire carriers all ended up with no damage at all. a lot of this is because their jeeps sat higher than the car that hit them. of course, the car that hit them had their front end totalled.
I just got rearended Tuesday morning rush hour. We were backed up in traffic rolling at maybe 2 miles per hour then this young girl smashed me knocking me into a Ford F-150 in front. I only had the Hanson tire carrier that bolts to the tailgate hinges and a smittybilt XRC on the front. I did however have a hitch with a 2 inch drop to offset my lift somewhat. The Ford Edge that hit me was definitely destroyed. Pushed my hitch down, bent the crossmember a little, flattened the end of the tail pipe a little, pushed the muffler back into the track bar, pushed the spare and carrier into the tailgate destroying the tailgate. On the front just a little marring on the bull bar where it hit the tailgate of the truck and bust out one of my Hella lights. $3260 according to all estimates except from here insurance carrier. They say it si $1670. Let the party start.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dronac
The reasoning is that it would cause excessive damage to a vehicle that rear ends you. It's the same in NY. At least they haven't gone after steel bumpers, or worse, stinger bumpers. T-boneing a vehicle with a stinger would be pretty much a death sentence.
I guess the idea would be for others not to rear end people in the first place.....
Seems like another stupid law....
Hitting someone with a stinger would be nasty.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grady
I just got rearended Tuesday morning rush hour. We were backed up in traffic rolling at maybe 2 miles per hour then this young girl smashed me knocking me into a Ford F-150 in front. I only had the Hanson tire carrier that bolts to the tailgate hinges and a smittybilt XRC on the front. I did however have a hitch with a 2 inch drop to offset my lift somewhat. The Ford Edge that hit me was definitely destroyed. Pushed my hitch down, bent the crossmember a little, flattened the end of the tail pipe a little, pushed the muffler back into the track bar, pushed the spare and carrier into the tailgate destroying the tailgate. On the front just a little marring on the bull bar where it hit the tailgate of the truck and bust out one of my Hella lights. $3260 according to all estimates except from here insurance carrier. They say it si $1670. Let the party start.
That really sucks man. That quote seems a bit low....

Quick Reply: Rear end collison protection from tire carrier?