Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear end collison protection from tire carrier?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear end collison protection from tire carrier?

Before I was a Jeep owner, I had a Honda CRV. Not more than a week after we got it, someone (on their cell phone) rear-ended us, hitting the tailgate mounted spare tire carrier causing damage to the rear door, bumper, and smashing the glass. He basically pushed the spare tire into the vehicle. Anyways, what I was wondering is does having one of those heavy duty steel bumpers with the bumper mounted swing arm tire carrier give good protection in this regards? I would definitely get the tire carrier for my new Jeep if it meant no one was going to push a big tire through my back window/tailgate...at least not so easily. Do the swing-arm tire carriers hold up well in a rear end collision?

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 11-19-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

most of the people i've known to get re-ended and had HD tire carriers all ended up with no damage at all. a lot of this is because their jeeps sat higher than the car that hit them. of course, the car that hit them had their front end totalled.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
most of the people i've known to get re-ended and had HD tire carriers all ended up with no damage at all. a lot of this is because their jeeps sat higher than the car that hit them. of course, the car that hit them had their front end totalled.
Well..... I originally wanted to buy an armored vehicle, but the government wouldn't let me do that. So I bought the next best thing...a Jeep. I can put armor on it. Thanks. Just getting really sick of other drivers not paying attention and pulling stupid moves. Good to know Jk armor/bumpers/protection is as fuctional on the street as it is off-road.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 11-19-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
Well..... I originally wanted to buy an armored vehicle, but the government wouldn't let me do that. So I bought the next best thing...a Jeep. I can put armor on it. Thanks.
Yeah people that get into accidents here with those bumpers are usually lifted so high the cars can barely touch the bumpers.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by matt852
Yeah people that get into accidents here with those bumpers are usually lifted so high the cars can barely touch the bumpers.
Unless the guy that hits you has a lifted truck and a big bumper. Anyways, my Jeep has a pretty big suspension lift and 35" tires, so I should probably get a stronger tire carrier anyways. Right now the spare is just sitting on the stock carrier.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by matt852
Yep, my wife was driving the JK and she was hit from behind by a kid on a cell phone. The drop hitch and 2" ball did major damage to the kids radiator and the JK walked away without a scratch on the bumper.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-UTE
Yep, my wife was driving the JK and she was hit from behind by a kid on a cell phone. The drop hitch and 2" ball did major damage to the kids radiator and the JK walked away without a scratch on the bumper.
HaHa same here. I always keep my drop hitch on. The tow hitch is tough...It F__ed up that car!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We get ticketed for leaving the sleeve and ball on if we are not actually pulling a trailer where i live
Old 11-20-2010, 01:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Whats the reason for that?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a link to some pics of a rear-end collision between a JK with a Expedition One Rear bumper/carrier and a Liberty. The JK had some damage, the Liberty didn't fair as well.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...dition+liberty

Quick Reply: Rear end collison protection from tire carrier?