Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear driveshaft.. replace? repair?

Old 10-31-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear driveshaft.. replace? repair?

Hey folks im brand new to this forum, just lookin to score a few answers on what to do about this rear driveshaft of mine.. It has been making a horrific clicking/clapping noise for the past couple months that only gets worse with time. It is apparent to me that she is about to go and that I will need to buy an aftermarket one very soon or modify this one if thats an option. Because they are so expensive brand new, my questions are -does anyone know of a place to buy one at a decent price (at least under $350) brand new? does anyone know if I can use the driveshaft off of another jeep vehicle that may be used or new, but less expensive? Any suggestions on this subject are very much appreciated.. My jeep is a 2007 2-door JK Wrangler Rubicon, by the way. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your vehicle modified at all or all still original from factory? Miles?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out used section, so many lifted Jeeps there should be plenty of stock driveshafts for sale for cheap...
Old 10-31-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DanieltheManual
Check out used section, so many lifted Jeeps there should be plenty of stock driveshafts for sale for cheap...
What he said.

Don't wait though. Suppose that thing parts and flops around. You could be looking at some serious collateral damage! Even the vibrations can cause problems.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably just the rubber boot is torn , look and feel it to see if it is torn . If it is just a torn boot , just remove it. It will last quite awhile without the boot. When you want to replace the driveshaft , try 4 Wheel Parts .
Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dahreno
Probably just the rubber boot is torn , look and feel it to see if it is torn . If it is just a torn boot , just remove it. It will last quite awhile without the boot. When you want to replace the driveshaft , try 4 Wheel Parts .
X2. My boot got ripped around 1,000 miles. I'm now 17,000 with no problems.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Rear driveshaft

Originally Posted by drumnatural
Is your vehicle modified at all or all still original from factory? Miles?
yep its modified, 3" lift and 35" tires. 75,500 miles. i assume that's a deadly combination for this stock driveshaft..
Old 10-31-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to The forum.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GRNmonster
Hey folks im brand new to this forum, just lookin to score a few answers on what to do about this rear driveshaft of mine.. It has been making a horrific clicking/clapping noise for the past couple months that only gets worse with time. It is apparent to me that she is about to go and that I will need to buy an aftermarket one very soon or modify this one if thats an option. Because they are so expensive brand new, my questions are -does anyone know of a place to buy one at a decent price (at least under $350) brand new? does anyone know if I can use the driveshaft off of another jeep vehicle that may be used or new, but less expensive? Any suggestions on this subject are very much appreciated.. My jeep is a 2007 2-door JK Wrangler Rubicon, by the way. Thanks!
I went through this same problem on my JK. The stock driveshaft is a total piece of crap that is $$$ to replace and in my opinion not worth keeping. I took my JK to a shop in Greenville, SC and they hooked me up with a company about 30 minutes away from them that specializes in 4x4 shafts. They built me a 1310 double-cardan driveshaft and sold me both yokes to do the conversion and it was well under $400.00 by the time they added tax to it.

Doing a side by side comparison of the stock driveshaft which are huge in diameter compared to my new driveshaft its a joke.I'm running their rear shaft and I just ordered a front shaft from them:

Click image for larger version

Name:	jk.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	384614

The company is Carolina Driveline: Driveshafts Speed Balanced Steel and Aluminum, I talked to a guy named Harry and after I got my shaft I saw them on Stacey David's Gearz doing a shaft for Ted Nugents Bronco!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

if you pay the shipping,,, ill give you my stock driveshaft!! mine is out of a 2012 2 door with only 2k in miles. if a '12 will work on your '07,, its yours that will be a cheep temp fix till mine goes out.

Quick Reply: Rear driveshaft.. replace? repair?