Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Driveshaft Issue

Old 09-01-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Driveshaft Issue

so I went wheeling at Rausche Creek this weekend. Had a blast! decided to leave early and as soon as I left the park and hit 40, realized the boot on my rear drive shaft got eaten up by some rocks. ended up cutting off the crap that kept hitting my gas tank as it spun and put it back to where it was supposed to be.

now the jeep has a vibrato as 55-65(ish) mph. so my questions are:

1. how important is that boot
2. how far can I get without having a boot
3: is that boot absolutely necessary???
4: if necessary, which/ how much is a good replacement?

all help is appreciated

Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

a photo will help, but if it's the larger boot it keeps the dirt out - if it's the inner boot and you see grease coming out or you see signs of grease splatter, you'll need to replace it right away.
Almost sounds like the DS is shot anyway if you're getting vibrations out of it.
Coast, J.E. Reel, Tom Woods - just be sure to ask if they come with Spicer u-joints and full circle clips and order them with the spicer....

also any chance you have mud or maybe knocked some wheel weights off?

Last edited by jeeeep; 09-01-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:23 PM
JK Junkie

I'll put out my feelers tomorrow if you'd like to see if I can locate another stock 4Dr shaft.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-11-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for lookin out guys, been busy puttin the jeep back together for a lil while now. i ended up going with a tom woods 1310 rear DS. it should hopefully be coming in either today or tomorrow (fingers crossed). the current stock DS on there is chewed up from rocks and has pretty deep, riveted scars from crawling. i believe im on borrowed time so i decided to go with an upgrade that ill feel comfy wheeling with.

Quick Reply: Rear Driveshaft Issue