Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear drive shaft question

Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Xman4602
Should they be replaced with a 2.5" lift?
There is no set-in-stone answer, as there are factors other than lift height involved. Your best bet is just to make a habit or crawling underneath and looking for grease splatter. The higher you go, the more often you should look.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I grease my Drive shafts every 3 months. I do not have to remove it because I have a tip on the end of one of my grease guns that looks like a large needle. So I move the Jeep back and forth to get it lined up to grease each fitting.
How do you get to the ball inside the double cardan end without dropping it?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:47 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do JK rears crap out that fast? My 4" TJ made it 15k before a u joint roasted from the lift.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by EzK
Do JK rears crap out that fast? My 4" TJ made it 15k before a u joint roasted from the lift.
Depends on the specifics. With your 4door and a 3-4" lift, the rear driveshaft should be ok. On a 2door, expect to have issues.
On both 2 and 4doors, the front shaft may have issues. Auto's have trouble with the boot in the middle contacting the skid and the corner of the tranny. 6spds may have issues contacting the exhaust. Both may run into issues with the angle of the joint at the tcase.
If you crawl underneath and look at the tcase, you will notice that the front output is tilted upward, which increases the angle that the joint operates at. (it took all of 5k miles for me to lose that joint with about 3.25" of lift). As noted, there are a lot of variables involved, so it just depends...

Quick Reply: Rear drive shaft question