Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear drive shaft question

Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear drive shaft question

Alright, this might sound like a dumb question. But when I lift my Jeep I know I will need to replace the rear drive shaft. Is it the one that goes from the transmission to the transfer case, or the transfer case to the rear axle? I have a hunch it's the one from transmission to transfer case. And if that's the case, then what kind of maintenance do I need to do on the one from transfer case to axle? (Greease it, etc).
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

T-case to front axle and t-case to rear axle.

The need to replace is based on total lift height along with a few other factors. If/when you replace, it should be with a double cardan shaft, with yokes to replace the stock flanges. Maintenance will be greasing the grease zerks placed all over the driveshaft, which will likely require removing the shaft so you can get in to a needle zerk.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Whats the shaft from the t-case to the rear axle then? Will I need to grease that too?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your rear driveshaft is located on your T-case to your rear axle.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

rear driveshaft is from T Case to rear axle and front is from front driver side of T case to front axle and when lifted enough to change a d shaft then the front should be first priority and rear should be asap changed. The front short shaft when lifted will be a harder angle than the longer rear shaft but both should be changed with a 3 inch or more lift in my experiances.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ksuferrara
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Whats the shaft from the t-case to the rear axle then? Will I need to grease that too?
Assuming you bought a 4-wheel drive, and not a 2 wheel drive, you have two driveshafts.
Front driveshaft - goes from the front axle to the front of the tcase.
Rear driveshaft - goes from the rear axle to the rear of the tcase.

The stock driveshafts are not serviceable. IF you swap to an aftermarket shaft, it will have grease zerks and you will want to maintain it. (How you maintain it depends on which driveshaft and which joints you get.)
Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

so after re-reading and taking a look under my jeep at a different angle from when i first looked and the question popped into my head, this all makes total sense now. i feel slightly dumb I thought an extra shaft went from the transmission to the t-case, which didn't make sense to me...hence why i asked....

And yes, its a 4wheel drive. i never understood the purpose of a 2wheel drive jeep.

It is a 2-door 6speed. I know the rear has to be replaced when I lift it. but i didnt think the front did with the 6-speeds.

Once again, Thanks to everyone for having the patience to answer my question
Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Should they be replaced with a 2.5" lift?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on the size lift you get. You should be good until you go above 3.5
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grease my Drive shafts every 3 months. I do not have to remove it because I have a tip on the end of one of my grease guns that looks like a large needle. So I move the Jeep back and forth to get it lined up to grease each fitting. It takes about thirty minutes for both drive shafts and the rest of the chassis.

Quick Reply: Rear drive shaft question