Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear drive shaft problem and what is the best replacement for a lifted car ?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear drive shaft problem and what is the best replacement for a lifted car ?

Hi I have jk 2010 4drs 4 inch lifted 33 inch tires installed today I was tolled by the dealer when I toke it the service that the rear drive shaft needs to be replaced because I noticed sound whene I am using the 4hi gear so I don't won't the mo par shaft because I will have the same problem soon what is the best replacement direct fit
Old 02-18-2014, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Sound in 4 hi? Any play in CV joints? Any grease leaking from rubber seal on CV joint?

You can buy rebuild kits for the CVs for about $100 each
Old 02-18-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Sound in 4 hi? Any play in CV joints? Any grease leaking from rubber seal on CV joint?

You can buy rebuild kits for the CVs for about $100 each
No leak nothing both when I am using the 4wd hi and lo
The dealer tolled me the vibrate u get is because of the shaft
Old 02-18-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yousif
No leak nothing both when I am using the 4wd hi and lo
The dealer tolled me the vibrate u get is because of the shaft
That's some shaft the dealer is trying to give you.

With a 4 door (Unlimited) you should not have any vibration in the rear drive shaft with a 4" lift. Try moving the shaft while in neutral with the e-brake set and see if there is play in the joints.

You can have vibration in the front drive shaft if the driveshaft to pinion angle is more than about 3 degrees. This will be more pronounced at higher speeds in 4 wheel drive.

Do you have adjustable front control arms? Have they been adjusted to minimize driveshaft to pinion angle?

As you can see from this picture, my driveshaft to pinion angle is excessive at maximum suspension extension. At normal ride height (4") the angle is close to zero.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131110_103503_909.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	531951  

Last edited by Sahara Lee; 02-18-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
That's some shaft the dealer is trying to give you.

With a 4 door (Unlimited) you should not have any vibration in the rear drive shaft with a 4" lift. Try moving the shaft while in neutral with the e-brake set and see if there is play in the joints.

You can have vibration in the front drive shaft if the driveshaft to pinion angle is more than about 3 degrees. This will be more pronounced at higher speeds in 4 wheel drive.

Do you have adjustable front control arms? Have they been adjusted to minimize driveshaft to pinion angle?

As you can see from this picture, my driveshaft to pinion angle is excessive at maximum suspension extension. At normal ride height (4") the angle is close to zero.
I don't have adjustable arms I will do what u tolled me
The main reason I toke it to the dealer is to check the sound because I was offroading and the 4wd cable got loose and the gear was on 4lo all the times and from that day when I use the 4hi or 4lo I Allways hear a sound Like a cable is loose
I fixed a new cable for the gear but the sounds remain
I can hear the sound when I am using the 4wd but when using the 2wd no sound at all
Old 02-19-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds more like a transfer case problem than drive shaft. The rear shaft is spinning under power whether in 2hi, 4hi, or 4lo. So if it was a rear drive shaft it should always have the noise?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is no sound in 2 hi, then I see no connection to the rear driveshaft. As already noted, it is a rear drive vehicle. You'd always hear it if it was the rear.

What noise are you getting?

First easy thing to do is change the fluid in the transfer case and front diff. Your front shaft is spinning even when not in 4 wheel, so seems unlikely that it is the front diff or front driveshaft. That then narrows it down to the transfer case.

The transfer cases are pretty strong. I had a noise in 4 wheel and ultimately discovered it was the shift cable vibrating. Sounded like something serious with my t-case, but it was nothing. I just moved the cable around under the Jeep, and it was fixed.

4" of lift would create a fairly steep angle on the front shaft, especially without adjustable arms. Often times, a lift will give more than advertised. So, you may have netted closer to 5", further steepening the angle. That may be enough to put stress on the t-case at the front output.

Quick Reply: rear drive shaft problem and what is the best replacement for a lifted car ?