Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Drive Shaft Goes Bad

Old 08-30-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rebel Heart
Never offroaded, only 3,000 miles on vehicle after lift and after a 350 mile trip - Kaboom! Just wondered if the long trip had anything to do with this. I've ordered new shafts for the front and rear, but would rather have done this closer to home. Is this something that should have been done right away with a 3" lift? I have a 2 door. Grease splattered all over with the boot torn.
Yes, your long trip sped up the process. once that boot in the joint tore you lost a lot of grease everytime your shaft built up RPM's with the grease gone and the heat on the bearings due to a "long trip" that was all it took.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2dr. and 4" lift and still running the stock shaft. I did install adj. control arms and set my pinion angle to match the shaft angle. I probably have 1500 or so miles on it and no trouble yet. I was getting ready to order a rear shaft just to go ahead and replace it when life threw me a curve ball but that's in another section. (JK Talk)
Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jeeperjkj
I think he did get 3,000 miles out of it after the lift. Read the OP.
wow. long night, not sure how i missed that..

thats about when mine blew out, I think mine had to do with wheeling it hard.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by sceptre
Skyjacker 4", stock shafts, 2 Dr
your screwed...
Old 08-30-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 16k on my 3.5 Tera Flex kit and the stock shafts. I also have all 8 adj control arms. You must have upper and lower adj control arms. I just hope it holds out, I have no leakage at the boot.

Quick Reply: Rear Drive Shaft Goes Bad