Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Detroit Locker?

Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Detroit Locker?

I asked this question in another thread, but it was probably a little too off-topic there...

Does anybody have a Detroit locker in their rear axle? I'd just like a little more info on what this locker is.

Somehow I was under the impression that there were no lunchbox lockers available for the rear of the JK. Somehow I was also under the impression that the Detroit was more of a LSD than a locker, and therefore not even a lunchbox but a whole new carrier.

Any information anybody could give on this would be wonderful, because the idea of a lunchbox for the rear open JK carrier would be fantastic.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had a detroit in the rear of my jk and loved it. It is not a lunch box locker or a LSD, and it does replace your entire carrier.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Your first stop should be Eaton/Detroits website. It will have all the info you need.

But, the Detroit 'TrueTrac' is a limited slip. It is full case, meaning it replaces the stock case, and is the best limited on the market.

The Detroit 'locker' is a locker. It is also full case. The downside to this type of locker is that they are always on. You don't have a switch to turn them off.

A lunchbox is a type of automatic locker (like the detroit locker) that is very inexpensive and fits inside your stock case. This makes them a lot weaker than a detroit, but for the budget conscious, they are a great option.

And a selectable is a locker that you can turn on and off with the push of a button. They are very expensive, but when off, they are off and you have an open diff, so are better in a lot of conditions than auto lockers.

There was a post not long ago indicating that you can use a TJ case to get an Aussie fitted in the rear. I don't know any specifics, but apparently it is possible. You should also do a little research on lunchboxes to see if you want one in the rear axle. Apparently there are some durability issues from being under power 100% of the time, and spending the extra money for a detroit may be the better option back there.

The comments by Dynatrac in this one are a good read:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...28-best-locker

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-23-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Detroit locker, not a Truetrac. It's noticable, but not in a bad way. Every once in awhile I'll get a clank while on-road, other than that, its fine for my DD. I put about 60miles per day on it. Off-road, it kicks arse.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by redx08
Had a detroit in the rear of my jk and loved it. It is not a lunch box locker or a LSD, and it does replace your entire carrier.
Ahh... That's the type of info I wanted. Thanks!

If it's an entire carrier replacement, then it's a no-go on the mod list. I have no desire to mess with carrier shims and what not... Hence my interest in a lunchbox.

mkjeep had mentioned it in another thread about it being an alternative to the Aussie, but if it requires me to readjust carrier and/or pinion shims then this is not the droid I'm looking for.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
...A lunchbox is a type of automatic locker (like the detroit locker) that is very inexpensive and fits inside your stock case. This makes them a lot weaker than a detroit, but for the budget conscious, they are a great option...
nthinuf, thank you for all the info. I have an auto up front, so I am aware it's not ideal. But I think the budget, and the DIY aspect of an auto is for me. I think my confusion was around the Detroit, not around what an auto is. The name Detroit seems to have been used on a few different traction aid devises, and ...

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I have a Detroit locker, not a Truetrac. It's noticable, but not in a bad way. Every once in awhile I'll get a clank while on-road, other than that, its fine for my DD. I put about 60miles per day on it. Off-road, it kicks arse.
mkjeep's response just has baffled me... no offense, but I'm really trying to understand what you have mkjeep

I know you've brought it up a couple of times as an alternative to a rear Aussie. But, this Detroit that you have, it's not a lunchbox like the Aussie is, is it

From looking at Eaton's (and Northridge's) website, is this (like) what you have?

Sorry guys, all of you, I hope I'm not being too round about... I'm just a little confused

Last edited by u-joint; 03-23-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

There is a detroit locker and a detroit tru trac. he is saying he has the detroit locker. Neither are a lunchbox, both are full carrier replacement
Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mad-Hatter
There is a detroit locker and a detroit tru trac. he is saying he has the detroit locker. Neither are a lunchbox, both are full carrier replacement
Ah... Cool deal. Thanks for breaking that down for me. I truly appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Your Jeep, but I would really heed what Dynatrac has to say about putting a lunch box in the rear. that thing will see stress on every mile you put on your jeep, not just off road. the stock carrier cross pin will not be happy
Old 03-23-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad-Hatter
Your Jeep, but I would really heed what Dynatrac has to say about putting a lunch box in the rear. that thing will see stress on every mile you put on your jeep, not just off road. the stock carrier cross pin will not be happy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is correct, thats why a lunchbox for the rear of a DD is notsogood.

Quick Reply: Rear Detroit Locker?