Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Dana 44 Aussie Locker removal question

Old 01-29-2016, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya, thanks for the follow up.

Yes, I would have suggested the same advice on shifting. By nature, any auto locker will add backlash to your driveline, the additional backlash is how these lockers twist about the cross shaft and engage. Manual transmissions will experience more backlash feedback because the driver is in direct control of the shifting, and if you like to short shift, you may experience some grinding in the transmission while the gears are trying to line up and catch up. From our experience automatic transmissions/rear lockers have less backlash related customer support questions, manual transmissions have more.

For future forum advice, here are some tips

Manual Transmission w/ Rear Auto Locker:

- Due to the added backlash in the driveline - apply steady throttle - jabbing the throttle may give you a herkey-jerky affect, this is most noticeable while cornering and after shifting
- Don't shift while cornering
- Learn the characteristics of the locker when downshifting to a stop light, the locker may momentarily engage, could be noticeable, could be negligible
- Short Shifting may be problematic due to the added backlash. The transmission needs time to allow the gears to align, take your time when shifting or you may experience some grinding.

Hope this helps!

~Cora
Old 01-29-2016, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AussieLocker
I hear ya, thanks for the follow up.

Yes, I would have suggested the same advice on shifting. By nature, any auto locker will add backlash to your driveline, the additional backlash is how these lockers twist about the cross shaft and engage. Manual transmissions will experience more backlash feedback because the driver is in direct control of the shifting, and if you like to short shift, you may experience some grinding in the transmission while the gears are trying to line up and catch up. From our experience automatic transmissions/rear lockers have less backlash related customer support questions, manual transmissions have more.

For future forum advice, here are some tips

Manual Transmission w/ Rear Auto Locker:

- Due to the added backlash in the driveline - apply steady throttle - jabbing the throttle may give you a herkey-jerky affect, this is most noticeable while cornering and after shifting
- Don't shift while cornering
- Learn the characteristics of the locker when downshifting to a stop light, the locker may momentarily engage, could be noticeable, could be negligible
- Short Shifting may be problematic due to the added backlash. The transmission needs time to allow the gears to align, take your time when shifting or you may experience some grinding.

Hope this helps!

~Cora
Thanks for the added info! I feel better hearing it from the manufacturer. If I wasn't so stubborn, I would keep it in and learn to work with it. Especially knowing now that i dont have a problem with my jeep, just with my impatient driving LOL
Old 01-29-2016, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

No worries, you shouldn't have trouble selling the Aussie. If you like, take pictures of the gear teeth and email them to me, I will 'certify' that the locker is fit for reuse. Cora@Aussie Locker.com
Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crzyamerican
Thanks for the added info! I feel better hearing it from the manufacturer. If I wasn't so stubborn, I would keep it in and learn to work with it. Especially knowing now that i dont have a problem with my jeep, just with my impatient driving LOL
I have a manual too. Well..... I have to say I drive it like I stole it... so adjusting my driving style is not going to happen for me lol... Man that just sucks you changed out the clutch and TOB with such few miles on it for nothing. For the front Aussie JK's have live axles so even though no power is going to the front your still going to have clicking on sharp turns in 2H from what I understand but it won't have any effect on the street is this correct?
Old 01-29-2016, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

You are correct, in 2WD with your stock hubs, you axle shafts still spin but they have no torque applied via the driveshaft. Since the shafts are still turning, you may hear slight clicking (not like a rear locker under load clicking) when you make a full lock, slow speed turn, like into a parking spot. Other than that you should never know the locker is there in 2wd, and it will have no affect on driving or steering.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AussieLocker
No worries, you shouldn't have trouble selling the Aussie. If you like, take pictures of the gear teeth and email them to me, I will 'certify' that the locker is fit for reuse. Cora@Aussie Locker.com
I'll do that. Thank you very much.

As for the front Locker. Like you said. There is and has been slight clicking but only in sharp turn is parking lot. Hardly noticeable. I never even notice during normal driving.

We pulled the Locker Friday night, went and tested the new gears and front locker at The Swamp off road park. Had a great time and everything worked perfect!

Quick Reply: Rear Dana 44 Aussie Locker removal question