Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear D44 upgrade: ARB locker with 35 spline vs Yukon Zip with 30 spline.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The factory shafts on the jk are weak with 37" tires if you are going that route I would plan on doing new shafts anyway and would go with the 35 spline. If you are going to stay on 35's then the 30 spline will save you money you can put towards the 60. Another option would be to look for a rubi take off that is already geared 4.88. I typically see them go for $1000 or less.
You are seeing Rubicon take off 44's going for $1000? where? thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
You are seeing Rubicon take off 44's going for $1000? where? thanks
For the rear, yes. Haven't seen many of them, but here is a current listing in my local craigslist for 800, geared to 5.13 even.

2009 Jeep JK Rubicon parts
Old 09-11-2013, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few folks in our jeep club ( including me) run the ARB 35 spline setup in the 44.
The guy running 40's broke one after some major bouncing, throttle abuse.
I am gonna run mine till I start breaking axles or if I ever jump to 40's I will do a 60.
I feel it was worth the investment for me. If you are already thinking about a 60 do what you can to save for it instead of investing elsewhere.
That's what I did on the front. Spent nothing on the 30 and saved for the PR 44 with ARB and 35 spline RCV's.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 100% positive the 35 spline RCV's are only 35 spline diameter (1.5") for the first 6" of the shaft, then neck down to 30 spine diameter (1.31"). This gives you an increase in strength at the carrier, but essentialy the same strength axle along the length of the shaft.

I'm fairly certain the rears are the same, but I'd have to double check.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKred
I am 100% positive the 35 spline RCV's are only 35 spline diameter (1.5") for the first 6" of the shaft, then neck down to 30 spine diameter (1.31"). This gives you an increase in strength at the carrier, but essentialy the same strength axle along the length of the shaft.

I don't remember how my RCV's were. On the superior rears they are bigger from the splines all the way to the bearings. I had to install different bearings on the end when I put them in.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
I don't remember how my RCV's were. On the superior rears they are bigger from the splines all the way to the bearings. I had to install different bearings on the end when I put them in.
Right on! That's good to hear then. I think nitro and RCV also make 35 spline rears, so I'm curious if they're also the same (full length).

Front RCV's are definitely necked down
Old 09-12-2013, 11:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I think the big plus to this setup was that it let people with rubicon front housings move away from the factory locker and into an ARB. For several years, that was the only non-factory option. And back when a replacement factory locker as $1600 or $1800 or whatever it was, it sure made sense to swap over.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Rear D44 upgrade: ARB locker with 35 spline vs Yukon Zip with 30 spline.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I think the big plus to this setup was that it let people with rubicon front housings move away from the factory locker and into an ARB. For several years, that was the only non-factory option. And back when a replacement factory locker as $1600 or $1800 or whatever it was, it sure made sense to swap over.
It still makes sense, IMO. Factory locker engagement and disengagement can take a 5-10 feet some time. ARB is much quicker. And since rebuild parts for ARB's are readily available, as long as you don't grenade the entire setup, you will have the locker for a good while.

And quickly for the OP, I didn't see it mentioned but the Zip locker is a copied design of the first generation ARB locker.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It still makes sense, IMO. Factory locker engagement and disengagement can take a 5-10 feet some time. ARB is much quicker. And since rebuild parts for ARB's are readily available, as long as you don't grenade the entire setup, you will have the locker for a good while.

And quickly for the OP, I didn't see it mentioned but the Zip locker is a copied design of the first generation ARB locker.
I ended up with ARB's front and rear.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Roryslife
I ended up with ARB's front and rear.

Quick Reply: Rear D44 upgrade: ARB locker with 35 spline vs Yukon Zip with 30 spline.