Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear corner armor

Old 11-16-2013, 04:55 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vincejeep1
EVO corners all the way
Well, that would be nice but I have a 2dr, and I could only find it for a 4dr.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a tough call for me. The Evo corners are just brake bent plate. I could do that myself if I wanted something that was more of a rough fit, and really damn heavy. But even with that, the Evo price is very good and I think I would save myself the trouble and buy from Evo.

The PSC are tool stamped and conform really well. They're also a little thinner, so lighter. But holy crap are they expensive.

In both cases, I really dislike the nutsert idea. Being an automotive painter, I see a lot of potential problem areas with the whole installation of any corner armor. Water getting in between the armor and the panel, and touch up paint isn't going to do any good in a drilled out nutsert hole once you chip half of it off installing the nutsert.

If it were me, I'd probably do it one of two ways. Sand the panel down to bare metal and use a two part metal bond (it's strong as hell, they're building some of the newer cars with it now) or drill out small holes in the armor every 6" or so, and plug weld the armor on, grind it flat, do a little body work, seam seal the edges and paint it. I'd actually most likely do both methods.

But then again, I'm a freak about doing things "right" and I have my own definition of what that means.

Don't mind me, I have problems
Old 11-16-2013, 06:25 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Good info. I've already purchased the PS flares and will be holding off on armor.

Quick Reply: Rear corner armor