Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear controll arm length upper and lower.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear controll arm length upper and lower.

Searched to no aval last night ..

I'd like to get some info on recentering the rear wheels within the wheel well (front to back ) I have a 2dr rubicon, OME HD LT kit, 8 controll arms, front/rear track bars, front/rear drive shafts, front/rear brake lines. Bumpstops, swaybar links, got it all.....

I understand how to set the pinion on the rear for the new drive shaft, need to get an idea on how much longer should the rear lower control arms be from stock to push the rear end back to center within the wheel well. My thinking install the new drive shaft first, remove the lower control arms, extend the new LOWER control arms ( ??? Need help here, my lift netted 3.4 inches it has settled down to 3.25, should I go a 1/3 or half of the lifted hieght what did you do ?????) Then install the uppers to set the rear pinion.

BTW> did find some info on control arm settings found specs for TF 4' lift which might help once I get the stock arms removed, I'll measure the stockers, and use the TF specs as a comp.

Other stuff getting installed afterwards, 513 gears, New black rock rims, goodyear mtr's, orfab tire carrier, still looking for bumpers which I can't decide on.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't get away with too much lengthening of the rear LCA's to restore the wheelbase. You'd end up with interference between the spring and track bar.

Given the amount of lift you’re running, I recommend setting the lower control arm at stock length and the upper at about 1/2" longer than stock; that'll get you pretty close on the pinion angle and you can make adjustments from there as necessary.

I'd also highly recommend getting the RockKrawler spring perch shims, or having the spring perches repositioned because you'll end up with a very significant bow in the spring if you don't.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Sping perch

Got that covered (shims are inbound) thanks for input. Looking at the TF specs for control arm settings not having the stock lengths for comps I guess I'll have to wait and see what the differnce between stock and their settings are.

Anyone else have any thoughts on rear control arm lengths.

Last edited by bab1234; 03-17-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default anyone??

Anyone else care to offer up some suggestions on the length of the lowers?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bab1234
Anyone else care to offer up some suggestions on the length of the lowers?
There is no exact measurement, there are too many variables - make the lowers stock length, and just worry about adjusting the uppers until your pinion angle is set. It shouldn't take too much, as has been said. Just make sure your driveshaft is in line with your differential and you're set.

Once you do that if your springs are bowing because you're too short on the bottom, just lengthen them out to where they need to be, then readjust the uppers. Pretty simple process for the rears. Feel free to PM me with questions.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default rear controll arm length upper and lower

edit == after thinking about the above responses did more research, figured needed to respond .

Once you lift a jeep with stock control arms depending on the height the rear will move forward, setting the lower control arms to stock length does not will not correct the geometry of how the rear end sits within the wheel well. Setting the lower control arms at stock does nothing to correct this, granted each lift is different yet setting the lowers at stock buys nothing to fix where the rear axle fits within the wheel well.

Using some basic geometry I figure the lowers should be about 1/2-3/4 inch longer to center the wheel knowing that I'll need to look at the spring perches to insure they line up, as I said in prior posts I have every thing needed on this lift to include multiple lower spring perches wedges to adjust every thing.

Bottom line the lowers need to be longer than stock how much is what I was looking for.

Pretty much the approach I was going to take, as stated in an prior post I did find some lengths for a TF 4 inch kit once I get my stock arms off I'll compare note the difference and work from that.. Also plan to look at the mounts make sure they line up, once I get into taking things apart sure it will make sense.

Oh and of course post up pictures once all is done..

thanks,

Last edited by bab1234; 03-17-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Upper and Lower Control Arm Lengths

The information I found from Tera Flex for a 4" lift states:
Rear Uppers 18 3/8"
Rear Lowers 20 3/8"
Old 03-18-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Found this..

a bit different, looks like I'll need to measure things up do some math figure out my axle location before the lift then determine a starting point for the length.

from a TF post
For initial settings on control arm length, suggested settings only, I will tell you
what we use at our installation center. Final adjustments need to be made on the alignment rack. The following dimensions are what we use on a 4 door JK with 4 inch lift. These settings will be very close for a 2 door as well. Each vehicle will vary.

Front adjustable track bar - 33 1/8 inches
Rear adjustable track bar - 40 1/8 inches
Front upper control arms - 27 3/4 inches
Driver side front lower control arm - 33 9/16 inches
Passenger side front lower control arm - 33 11/16 inches
Rear upper control arms - 19 1/2 inches
Rear lower control arms - 35 1/8 inches

The different caster from left to right on the front works well on the highway crown we have in Utah to keep the vehicle from drifting to the side. You may find a slight change is required where you live. All other standard TeraFlex terms and conditions apply to the long arm upgrade kit.

Last edited by bab1234; 03-18-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear controll arm length upper and lower.