Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Control Arm & Shock Bracket Skids ?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Kilby Enterprises also makes skids. I saw them last year at EJS. They are beefy. I like how they protect the shock.

This is from their website:

JK SHOCK SKIDS

Protect the rear shocks on your JK with these new shock skids! With clearance for up to a 2.25” diameter shock, these skids will take the hit instead. 100% bolt on, no drilling required. Sold in pairs.

10 lbs. 14x9x9
JK-RSS $130.00/Pair

Those look pretty beefy, but they don't protect the lower rear control arms, just the rear shock mounts.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bluewaterrider
THANKS !!

I am guessing the coverage is about the same for the weld on kit

I'll contact ORE.
I would guess that they cover about the same on the control arms, but the weld on kit does not relocate or cover the rear shock mounts.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those evo's are really nice i think ill pick me up a set of those
Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

If your ordering rear skids you may want to look at the front ones too.

Weld-On skids for front control arms. The Evo skids are constructed using 3/16-inch laser-cut steel plate. Available for 2007+ Jeep JK Wranglers.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a pic of the Kilby system with holes to adjust the shocks. I don't think it leave much exposed that you can break! Doesn't help ground clearance, but I have other issues with relocating the shocks, like:

1. Longer bump stops are probably needed because the shock is moved up in it's travel.
2. Limiting straps or spring clips since there is more room for the shock to extend.
3. Longer brake lines since there is more droop potential.

Must my two cents and why I stuck with protection of the existing setup.

Attachment 17404

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-30-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Question

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Here's a pic of the Kilby system with holes to adjust the shocks. I don't think it leave much exposed that you can break! Doesn't help ground clearance, but I have other issues with relocating the shocks, like:

1. Longer bump stops are probably needed because the shock is moved up in it's travel.
2. Limiting straps or spring clips since there is more room for the shock to extend.
3. Longer brake lines since there is more droop potential.

Must my two cents and why I stuck with protection of the existing setup.

Attachment 17404
I agree.

Got any more pics from different angles or from the front looking back

Thanks

I am gonna get the ORE front control arm weld on skids.

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 01-04-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

I'm not sure how much you wheel on rocks, but I know at raush creek everyone gets hung up on the rear shock brakets. relocating them up is the only way to help that out.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

From the pictures, the kilby looks like a mud shovel - I am liking the evo rear bolt-on's...$124 plus shipping
Old 01-04-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RipperMan
From the pictures, the kilby looks like a mud shovel - I am liking the evo rear bolt-on's...$124 plus shipping
+ longer bump stops?
+ limiting straps or spring clips?
+ longer brake lines?

or

+ new shorter-stroke shocks?

$124 ain't going to be such a bargain if you find out you crushed your shock since it took the bottom instead of your stops. Going to be a worse bargain if you drop a spring out of its perch or break a brake line. Besides, it's not exactly just bolt-on since you need to cut off your old shock mount.

I agree, the Kilby is a bit of a mud shovel, but it keeps the fancy adjuster knobs from getting knocked off (been there, done that). Relocating the shock would move the adjuster up some but still leave it exposed. Also, this solution keeps my shocks where they were designed to be.

I know for a fact that if I located my shock 1 1/2" further up, my rig would experience the problems I mentioned. I hope everyone who goes the relocation route makes sure their rigs will accommodate the new shock location. Extra ground clearance won't mean squat if you are walking!

BTW - I think moving the shock up is a great solution, as long as it's well thought out (just like any other mod made to the Jeep).

two cents.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I still like the evo's better

Quick Reply: Rear Control Arm & Shock Bracket Skids ?