Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear coil problem with RK 2.5" Max Travel kit. Please help!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To CEC_LDO ---->That is NOT the solution.

Bump stops deal with compression, not extension. Youre problem is when your axle droops out and the distance between the axle and the body is greater than that of the un-restrained spring. I'd suggest going ahead with the retainer clips AND get a limiting strap.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I'm still wondering what damage you are doing to coils by over extending them like that. They pop out for a reason so locking them in with retainers just seems like it will wreck them. Maybe not but I'd like to hear from others.

Also, are you running a rear sway bar?? Still think your links could be adjusted.
My swaybar links are already at their shortest. My plan will probably involve both the retainer (just lower), AND limiting straps from frame to axle, so I should be able to solve the problem without over-stretching or otherwise compromising the coils.... maybe? lol

I'm such a Noob...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's time for a coil upgrade!! Just get the 3.5" or 4.5" coils and problem solved!!! You may have other problems to deal with now but your coils will stay in place. Lol!!

Not sure about the rear but make sure you try and get an accurate reading for what size strap you need. From the ones I've seen, you need to order specific sizes and, while adjustable, the range isn't huge.

Good luck with your build!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Sorry on getting back to you late.

Coil Retention straps and limiting straps are the same. I could 't think of the words "limiting strap" so I came up with something that meant the same (hopefully).

Here's a link to a limiting strap Morris 4x4 sells.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-su...ing-straps.htm

My father needed them on his ride cause, like you, he had 2.5" springs and 4-6" shocks. He liked the look and ride of 2.5" lift, but loved the availability of drooping like a beast.

What you'll need to do is do a test flex to see how far you can travel before your spring drops out, then get the one appropriately sized. Call before you order because I do not know how their stretch is, or if they are made slightly shorter or longer. Hate to order the wrong ones and have a spring fall out then be frustrated at my advice.

Last edited by Delux2769; 11-18-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome, thanks! I just hope it's not too expensive to get the upper mount location welded on. My welder is very good, though, so I'm sure he'll hook me up with the proper strap length. (In fact, he's the one who first identified this issue for me!)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Ok bud I encountered the same problem you did and as stated before you can buy shorter shocks and the problem will end there or you can keep your "LONG TRAVEL""TOO LONG" shocks and get a coil spring retainer that holds the coil to the bottom of the spring perch then at a coil spring guide/spacer like the teraflex one. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_1005.htm http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_1132.html and then PROBLEM SOLVED
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

I put on the teraflex rear coil upper mounts. They run something like $25.00. Very simple solution. They use a hole already in place and use a clamp to hold the upper coils in its perch.

Here is the link

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-rear-uppe...-retainer.html

Last edited by jk4thedirt; 03-12-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go with a bottom spring retainer and the teraflex upper spacer that sticks down a few inches in the middle.

If you do any high speed wheeling I'd make the effort for limiting straps to protect your shocks.

Last edited by EzK; 03-12-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Yup Yup and on that teraflex guide/ spacer the actual "GUIDE"part is 4" I got this measurement from teraflex yesterday
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by palehorse
Is the Currie kit really the best solution, or did the RK technician steer me wrong?
RK has never steered us in the wrong direction.

Limit straps would also be a good investment.

Quick Reply: Rear coil problem with RK 2.5" Max Travel kit. Please help!