Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Captains Seats

Old 11-27-2008, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

If I sat in 'em, would that count as "Captain" seats?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, you will all get your pics soon. I finally tracked down matching front seats and will install at least one in the back of my 2 door. Not sure if I'll have the custom installation mount both the matching front seats in back (at this time, depends on how easy/difficult it will be to remove or put one back in), but either way, I should be able to set the second seat back there at least temporarily to show what it will/would look like.

My matching grey vinyl seats are "in route" and should arrive around the 19th. If I can't get it custom installed by the 22nd, it will have to wait until 2009.

But this is my final resolution for "baby prep" with a 2 door. Should make it plenty accessible through the tailgate, and the sliders and recliner option (and matching upholstery) seemed to all work for me for my purposes. (Customizing the rear bench to a split fold and tumble would have been FAR too expensive to be worthwhile).

So will keep you posted. Holler at me by New Years if pics aren't posted. Two door rear bench and Bestop duster cover now for sale.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to your MOD. This could be very cool. Good luck
Old 12-17-2008, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liquidrock
Looking forward to your MOD. This could be very cool. Good luck
The custom shop can't get me in until January, so I won't have anything until then. In the meantime, I am merely trying to come up with the best way to mount them (in hopes that at least one of the two can be removed or put back in rather easily).
Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

Looking forward to pics.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Freak

Would it be possible to just fabricate a mounting plate off of the Mastercraft bracket and be able to put on any seat you want?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by defkon
Would it be possible to just fabricate a mounting plate off of the Mastercraft bracket and be able to put on any seat you want?

For a 4 door, I'm sure that would be simple enough, and you can use pretty much any seats you want (with possibly some easily fabricated brackets). To do it on a 2 door, there is less room as the seats need to fit between the wheel wells.

Ironically, after much searching, I found that the factory front seats should fit best (albeit a tight fit width wise), and you get the bonus of the matching upholstery. But most aftermarket seats are either too wide or too tall (the factory seats give the ability to remove the headrest if you so choose when not in use).

I'm still not sure if I can bolt the sliders directly to the floor or will need to fab up some brackets (and will have it professionally done to ensure safety), but will share my findings with pics once I have a chance to have them installed.

But yes, far more options with the 4 door.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 PM
wdb
JK Enthusiast

There's a JK in my 4wheeldrive mag that has four bucket seats. I'll scan it when get the chance.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

FYI, I finally got this done. Check out this thread for more info, but pics below:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/2-door-custom-rear-seat-bucket-replacing-bench-68601/

Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neoxxis
The seatbelt is kinda for from the seat...
Looks like you'd have it holding you on the lower half of the body in case of crash...?

But looks good!
As it sits in the above pictures, it is virtually identical to the placement of the seatbelt relative to the factory rear bench, only the seat is reclined a bit more. So this should be just as safe as the factory rear bench.

Quick Reply: Rear Captains Seats