Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear camber question/ need help

Old 10-10-2009, 11:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear camber question/ need help

I’ve just had my lift OME HD SPRINGS & 285-70-17 TIRES / WHEEL combo place on yesterday. Love the look and ride will post pictures later. I’ve got one problem the rear left tire angle is out, negative camber.

I’ve been looking around and believe that with a set of rear upper flex arms this will be corrected. Plus a set of lower front will bring the steering control back to “almost stock”.

would this be correct.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Camber is completely non adjustable on the rear as there's a solid axle tube. If camber is out of spec, something is bent. Is it possible that the whole rear axle is in crooked? Look at the right rear. If the top is angled in toward the Jeep, I bet that's what happened. Otherwise, the axle tube on that left side probably is bent.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Assuming nothing is bent, if the left has "negative camber", the right must have "positive camber". Which means the axle is not parallel to the frame/body. Does the Jeep sit level?

Take a level and place vertically against each rear tire. If the bubble is not the same for each side, you have a bent axle tube. Or, maybe a displaced rear wheel bearing. The retainer could have slipped a little.

edit to add:
It could be no more than an optical illusion. Get the carpenter's level out there and check it out.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-11-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You're talking about the angle of one tire, and not the axle being off-center from not installing a trackbar bracket or adjustable, right?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the rear axle isn't just shifted laterally? This can be fixed with an adjustable rear track bar.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

Thanks guys. I'll check on your suggestion.

Quick Reply: rear camber question/ need help