Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Bumper With Winch?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting topic. One guy one told me about his winch that mounted on a hitch assembly. His Jeep had two hitch mounts: one in front and the other in the back so he could use the winch in either location.

It seemed a good idea but I was suspicious about how much one could actually tow with it.

Anyone here ever saw or used this setup? Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Navyvetnorwich91
I didn't quote well. I don't have their stuff; I have Poison Spyder. I was trying to paste something from their website below my comments but it didn't show up well. My avatar shows my Poison Spyder rear. Sorry if I was confusing.
Haha oh alright! Yeah I thought you were a rep or something.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Interesting topic. One guy one told me about his winch that mounted on a hitch assembly. His Jeep had two hitch mounts: one in front and the other in the back so he could use the winch in either location.

It seemed a good idea but I was suspicious about how much one could actually tow with it.

Anyone here ever saw or used this setup? Thoughts?
I have this on the rear of my Jeep. The problems are that it sits too low killing the departure angle, and it sticks way out making it hard to access the back of the Jeep.

I really need a rear winch bumper, but may just fab my own.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SiliconTi

I have this on the rear of my Jeep. The problems are that it sits too low killing the departure angle, and it sticks way out making it hard to access the back of the Jeep.

I really need a rear winch bumper, but may just fab my own.

But you only mount the winch to the hitch carrier when you want to use it. I understood the winch stays inside the Jeep when not in use.

However, I believe the hitch carriers are not rated for more than 7000lb or so. Are they?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
But you only mount the winch to the hitch carrier when you want to use it. I understood the winch stays inside the Jeep when not in use.

However, I believe the hitch carriers are not rated for more than 7000lb or so. Are they?
Well, my carrier came from Warn with a 9,000 LB winch on it. I think the hitch itself will be the limiting factor.

I have tried carrying it in the Jeep until needed, but usually in that situation, the rear hitch is buried or wedged in, so I can not put it on. Also, it weighs a ton and takes up a lot of space. Most times if I am going out with a group, I leave it home. If I am alone, I attach it and drag it over what I need to.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper With Winch?