Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear bumper with jerry can - which type?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, yesterday I called David @ Northridge and ordered the OR-FAB. It seems to be the only carrier that envelops the gas cans offering good protection and keep them close to the Jeep's bottom, thus lowering the center of gravity. Today when I got home had a package waiting for me. :-)

I have to say, a sarcophagus would not offer as much protection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1838401012.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	220072

Name:	image-229630623.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	220073

Finally the digging through all that expanded foam paid off.

Name:	image-2664259431.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	220074

It will be a busy weekend. ;-)

Thanks David! Great service!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool. Been looking at carriers alot lately
Old 10-09-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Finally finished installing it. It's doable by one single person and not difficult, but takes a lot of labor. In my case it was multiplied by me taking four or sometimes more measurements before drilling anything. It also helped that I have many tools (e.g. four different drillers, several wrench sets, etc) and had to use many of them to accomplish it.

Also, the instructions are OK but I had to read some parts several times trying to understand what they were trying to say. Also trying to find some "hidden" areas on my Jeep took a while. Learned a lot about some of them. :-)

So, in all took me around 10 hours to complete the install. I have to recognize they did a good job providing the means to reinforce the body where the carrier hangs. It will take quite a big impact to bend anything.

Name:	image-3816074621.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	221240

In the end it was worth it.

Now I am trying to figure out two things:
1) find a good third brake light
2) find how to lock the fuel cans

Ideas welcome! ;-)
Old 10-09-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Finally finished installing it. It's doable by one single person and not difficult, but takes a lot of labor. In my case it was multiplied by me taking four or sometimes more measurements before drilling anything. It also helped that I have many tools (e.g. four different drillers, several wrench sets, etc) and had to use many of them to accomplish it.

Also, the instructions are OK but I had to read some parts several times trying to understand what they were trying to say. Also trying to find some "hidden" areas on my Jeep took a while. Learned a lot about some of them. :-)

So, in all took me around 10 hours to complete the install. I have to recognize they did a good job providing the means to reinforce the body where the carrier hangs. It will take quite a big impact to bend anything.

Attachment 221240

In the end it was worth it.

Now I am trying to figure out two things:
1) find a good third brake light
2) find how to lock the fuel cans

Ideas welcome! ;-)

I believe mopar makes a kit that moves your stock third brake light about 6 inches higher on the tailgate. Itll stand about the tire and you dont have to worry about rerouting the wiring
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice setup I've been thinking of running this setup but still looking at other companies. Certainly, the price is right. What size jerry cans are you running and where did you buy them? Also, could post more pics of the carrier that show a side view and maybe close-ups of latching system?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...d=OR-FAB-87017

Third brake light, and it attaches to the carrier so you don't have anything sticking up off the gate. Sometimes I have things that hang over, so this was the best option to keep the light out of the way for me.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I saw the or-fab but it does not look very nice and is too expensive, relatively to the carrier's price Still an option if I do not find anything else.

I'll take a look at the Mopar and also check for universal lights that can be mounted to the carrier directly. Maybe they can be adapted.

I'll take more pic and post. I'm using standard 5gal cans. I had them already and have been using them for emergency gas for my generator.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 10-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I removed my factory tire carrier I installed "Lug Nut Lights".

Pretty neat....

Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by texwillys
When I removed my factory tire carrier I installed "Lug Nut Lights".

Pretty neat....
Cool! Where you got them? ;-)
Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

For the Gerry can lock, you could just use a bike lock or a chain with a big padlock. Maybe run it through the handle? Not too sure, but it's an idea.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper with jerry can - which type?