Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear bumper hitting quarter panel??

Old 05-31-2015, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear bumper hitting quarter panel??

When I go off roading, the rear bumper looks like it hits the quarter panel if hit it going down and stuff. I did hit the bumper going down a hill but not too bad like I have seen before. Is this normally an issue I have to worry about? Isn't this something that the bumper is supposed to protect?? Its a smittybilt XRC atlas bumper. I love the bumper but it has chipped a tiny piece of paint off already on my new -14 jeep :[ and its right down to bare metal. I have it covered with a piece of tape until I can get a hold of my touch up paint. The bumper is torqued to spec so I don't know what I should do. Will smittybilt do anything about the bumper or my panels? Am I being a total NEWB about this? lol
Old 05-31-2015, 11:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same experience with the Genright aluminum bumper but it never messed up my paint until I got a small pebble in that seem. Mostly it was the black paint in the aluminum that chipped off right there. A little touch up paint worked for me. Mine is an 09 I wheel a lot so it's not as shiny as a 14.

The rubber bushings flex on the JK allowing the body to tilt a little bit when you flex the suspension. Bumpers that hug the quarter panels close might touch, so the only thing I can think of is to take the bumper off and trim that 1/4 piece that is close to allow more room. I was going to do this to mine but never worried because it was the bumper paint that was suffering.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I have my bumper covered with a piece of tape for now until I can get a hold of some cover up. That might be a good idea to just cut the bumper down though! The bumper does have some flex for instance when I jump on it so I can probably figure that it is way worse when it hits on the trail. Ugh...well time for a new cut off wheel/grinder :P lol
Old 06-02-2015, 05:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you need to adjust the bumper a little lower. The bumper is mounted to the frame and the body sits on flexible mounts on the frame, so as the body flexes, it can contact a bumper if there is not enough clearance. That said, most bumpers have plenty of clearance. I'd make whatever tweaks are needed. There is another thread around where someone had the same issue and eventually it caused the entire body panel weld seam to crack where the corner meets the side. That is a mess.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Sounds like you need to adjust the bumper a little lower. The bumper is mounted to the frame and the body sits on flexible mounts on the frame, so as the body flexes, it can contact a bumper if there is not enough clearance. That said, most bumpers have plenty of clearance. I'd make whatever tweaks are needed. There is another thread around where someone had the same issue and eventually it caused the entire body panel weld seam to crack where the corner meets the side. That is a mess.
This might be true on some bumpers but the genright bumper lower seam bolts to the cross memeber where the trailer hitch attaches. I'd move the bumper down if I could. Mine just kisses the seam on an impact but the aluminum is thin in that area. Maybe that smittybilt can be dropped some with losening the bolts.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ah yeah see there is no way this bumper can be dropped down like that. It too attaches to the hitch as well and whatnot. Wait so if its the body that is flexing, which I do understand. It might save me the hassle of grinding and adjusting the bumper if I just do a body lift correct? Its fairly cheap and I can do about an inch no problem
Old 06-03-2015, 12:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Big-D#28
Ah yeah see there is no way this bumper can be dropped down like that. It too attaches to the hitch as well and whatnot. Wait so if its the body that is flexing, which I do understand. It might save me the hassle of grinding and adjusting the bumper if I just do a body lift correct? Its fairly cheap and I can do about an inch no problem
Sure you can, but I'm not a fan of those. My flat fenders with a BL would make too much room and I'd have to go to 37's. ;-)
Old 06-03-2015, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Haha! oh of course. well too bad for me I just picked up a set of 35s like two days ago lol anyways that is seeming like it might be the only option though. Ill see if smittybilt says anything about it, if not I think thats what I will end up doing though. Too bad its all 1 inch kits, I was looking for something just enough to clear it but oh well.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do either of you have a picture of how the bumper attaches in such a way it can't be lowered?

Quick Reply: Rear bumper hitting quarter panel??