Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear bumper build

Old 03-31-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear bumper build

I dont like any of the aftermarket bumpers I have seen and Ive looked hard so I am going to build my own. Very siple, a close copy of a M1038 Humvee.

My question, I am going to use rectangular tubing to build it, should I use 1/4 inch wall or 3/16 inch wall tubing.
Note, I am going to through bolt a pintle hitch in the middle of the bumper. I figure if the stock rear cross memeber as thin as the two pieces of steel are that make it up and it carried the class 3 reciever hitch, then a 2x6 rectangular tube should be fine. Just not sure if 3/16 is thick enough but I know 1/4 inch is going to be really heavy.

Also, in the opinion of you guys that have replaced their rear bumpers, should I build it to wrap forward into the rear fender flairs like the stock one or forget that and just make it straight across the rear like older TJs and the Humvee Im going to copy? I just wonder how it will look with the body designed what I call minivanish with the lip at the bottom instead of how the older TJs and such were.

Thanks for advice.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think 3/16 is strong enough, nice to keep the weight down. 1/4" would be very heavy. I'd have the bumper at least span out to the body line for the protection.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper build