Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Brake Line Replacement

Old 10-24-2019, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Line Replacement

How hard is it to replace the rear brake hard lines on a 2 door jk with new lines?

installed extended brake lines and the fittings on each side were stripped out so i cut them and tried to re flare them with new fittings but i cant get it to stop leaking. tried anti seize on the threads as well but once i push down on the pedal i can see the fluid bubble out of the threads. It is the fitting where it goes from hard to soft lines on each side. yes they are on tight, triple checked.

was thinking about just buying a roll of line and making brand new ones but i cant tell if the passenger side goes all the way to the front. not sure if there's a union of some sort on the driver side that it connects to or if it goes to the master like the drivers side?

prebents cost a fortune with shipping so Id like to just make some since I have the tools.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Passenger side crosses over and joins the driver's side. It isn't tough to do but I'd suggest you go to the dealer and buy the correct factory part number for you year. I got an incorrect part and ended up adding pieces to make it work....and while it works just fine, I would have rather had the correct piece from the start.

It's not a bad job to do, just ensure you've got brake line wrenches that give you a better grip with no slip.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Well I don't think i will need to completely replace them just yet. While pondering my situation I came to realization that I single flared each side, not double flared. probably the reason its leaking, going to try and cut off the fittings and re flare tonight after work. Stupid mistake on my part trying to rush things
Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Best of luck. If you do have to end up replacing the hard line I'd agree to get the part from the dealer. Oddly enough, that particular part doesn't cost much more at the dealer, AND it comes with all the clips in place to push into the frame.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Best of luck. If you do have to end up replacing the hard line I'd agree to get the part from the dealer. Oddly enough, that particular part doesn't cost much more at the dealer, AND it comes with all the clips in place to push into the frame.
I might just do that if it fails tonight. probably just be easier, there is a dealer across town. I found the mopar branded ones on rock auto & a couple other places but shipping was over double the price of both the lines.

update:
just called my local dealer, cost significantly more to get it through them than to order it on rock auto.

Last edited by mik233; 10-24-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Line Replacement