Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Axle Retaining Nuts

Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get these?

So Im doing a Rubi axle swap into my JK. I learned that I am never suppose to reuse the axle retainer nuts in the rear to bolt up the axle shaft. Well I called around and only found them at the dealer so far.... but guess how much they cost? $7.59 a piece. Thats $7.59 for one nut and I need 8 of them... Anybody else know where I can get some possibly cheaper axle retainer nuts? I really dont feel like spending $60 on nuts.

Last edited by racin444; 05-13-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's P/N 68003275AA you are looking for, http://www.moparonlineparts.com/ (A sponsor of this forum) has them for 5.50. Still, $44 for nuts is nuts.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I reused mine, torque is only 40 ft lbs although I went abit more. 40ft lbs of torque is nothing to worry about as far as re-stressing that size nut and bolt. Just blue locktight them and you'll be fine.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I reused mine, torque is only 40 ft lbs although I went abit more. 40ft lbs of torque is nothing to worry about as far as re-stressing that size nut and bolt. Just blue locktight them and you'll be fine.
Sounds good! Ill give it a try!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Im sure its not recommended but I did the same. Been almost a year with no problems
Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default axle nuts

ive reused mine twice last time was with new retainers but no problems so far
Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 PM
JK Freak

Awesome guys! Glad to hear you guys are not having problems reusing them!
Old 10-30-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

I installed a set of G2 Chromoly rears in my 07 JKUR and we had to cut 6 of the 8 nuts off with a torch they were so badly rusted....

Installed new retainer plates/studs, and reused the good 2 nuts, and then used lock washers with 6 other nuts found in the coffee can....

Any issue with using the above lock washer/nut setup? Or, should I source some M12 nuts at the hardware supply and loctite them in place??? Looking around online, the Mopar nuts @ $5 a piece seems insane!
Old 10-31-2015, 04:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bruckus
I installed a set of G2 Chromoly rears in my 07 JKUR and we had to cut 6 of the 8 nuts off with a torch they were so badly rusted.... Installed new retainer plates/studs, and reused the good 2 nuts, and then used lock washers with 6 other nuts found in the coffee can.... Any issue with using the above lock washer/nut setup? Or, should I source some M12 nuts at the hardware supply and loctite them in place??? Looking around online, the Mopar nuts @ $5 a piece seems insane!
This worries if i do mine.

OP, im pretty sure its the DS yoke nuts that should be replaced .. Not the axle nuts.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

kjeeper, if you are going to do your own axle shaft install - jack the rear end, remove wheels and try to loosen the 4 nuts on each side first... if they start spinning (the head of the bolt will sometimes spin in the retainer plate itself), then you will know you have an issue + know you will need to cut off any spinners/get replacement nuts for those. My new axles/retainer plates did not come with new nuts..

To answer my own question above re: using lock washers, did some reading and found that the Mopar nuts are torque nuts (they crush/deform to hold their tension) - which would be important given the vibrations and potential to loosening. With that said, the lock washers (split washers) I have used are not ideal, and would be considered second best to chemical locking compound (loc tite). I am going to keep the 6 new coffee can nuts used, and add loc-tite today. Will mark them with a paint pen and re-visit this at next oil change for any changes.

For anyone installing rear axle shafts, you may wish to tack weld the 4 retainer bolts to the retainer plate prior to install (to prevent them from spinning down the road). I am hoping these G2 axles never need to come out and have fingers crossed they won't spin if I try to remove them.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Retaining Nuts