Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear axle articulation limited, need help

Old 06-23-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
IMO the comments about the swaybar are interesting topics, but in no way relative to the situation at hand. If someone was only wanting RTI scores and wondering why the Jeep acted the way id did going up the ramp different ways, then that is the correct explananation.

the front swaybar DOES NOT have anything to do with how my rear spring comresses when my rear tire comes in contact with an obstacle. The front swaybar DOES affect the way the front axle responds to a front tire coming in contact with an obsticle. Disconnecting the front swaybar only relieves the added tension that the swaybar places on the front axle when one wheel is higher or lower than the other. It is no different than an increase in spring rate. The rear sway bar also provides tension on the axle and if I disconnected it would give a little more flex due to the decrease in tension or spring rate on the axle at that time. The front swaybar is huge compared to the rear though, and does not limit flex like the front does.

Thank you all for your input. I am sorry if I was not clear on what I was looking for. Best wishes.
That's the thing, man, I think it does. And the post I quoted shows it happening. Same obstacle, same JK, same loading, and the rear stuffs more when the front swaybar is connected.

I didn't think about it before until your thread. But now, thinking about it, if you go up a ramp with your rear tire, like you did in your initial RTI post, the tires that will compress are the ones with the least resistance or the most load. Well, with the front disconnected, the front has less resistance to compression (AND probably more load on it) and when your rear tire goes up the ramp, it will stuff the opposite corner on the front BEFORE it stuffs itself, because there's less resistance there with no sway bar up front.

Seems like exactly what's happening in my case when my rear hits a rock and throws the jeep up. The rear isn't compressing because there's less resistance on the front due to the disconnected sway bar, and over it goes instead of stuffing the rear.

Don't get impatient man, you're getting some good replies and even I'm learning a bit from this thread...I still think you shouldn't rule the front out.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by armandov99
That's the thing, man, I think it does. And the post I quoted shows it happening. Same obstacle, same JK, same loading, and the rear stuffs more when the front swaybar is connected.

I didn't think about it before until your thread. But now, thinking about it, if you go up a ramp with your rear tire, like you did in your initial RTI post, the tires that will compress are the ones with the least resistance or the most load. Well, with the front disconnected, the front has less resistance to compression (AND probably more load on it) and when your rear tire goes up the ramp, it will stuff the opposite corner on the front BEFORE it stuffs itself, because there's less resistance there with no sway bar up front.

Seems like exactly what's happening in my case when my rear hits a rock and throws the jeep up. The rear isn't compressing because there's less resistance on the front due to the disconnected sway bar, and over it goes instead of stuffing the rear.

Don't get impatient man, you're getting some good replies and even I'm learning a bit from this thread...I still think you shouldn't rule the front out.

I don't think you read the first post though. I only went up the RTI to see if something was hitting. No matter if the bar is disco'd or what the tire does not go up more than a couple inches. I am not impatient... just frustrated that I do not know how to convey what I want to ask in a way that people will understand, and it is ok. I am not upset about it. It is not a big deal.

I just started this really to see if I was maybe getting bound up by something I didn't know about. Nothing is, it is just a high spring rate, ez to fix with lighter springs. My question is answered, a moderator can close this thread if they like. Thanks to everyone for all the replies.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 AM
LVE
JK Enthusiast

Default Sway bars

I think maybe my jeep is too light for my spring rate or something. The rear tires squish up into the fender wells when the weight of the jeep is on them. see:

You can see that the tires don't hit anything on the way up, but the whole jeep goes in the air before the tire hits the bumpstop if the jeep is level and not tilted back like in that photo.
You need to disconnect the sway bars, front and rear. (Rubicons have electronic disconnects) Rough Country has some new quick disconnects which I have on the front. Its just as easy to remove bottom bolts and zip tie them up with a heavy duty zip tie right before you go offroad. then when you return to road, snip the zips and reconnect and tighten well. Get some LOCKNUTS to replace stock ones.

When you disconnect the swaybars, you will get your articulation.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:25 AM
LVE
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Put a couple fat chicks in the back. haha
Good one.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by LVE
You need to disconnect the sway bars, front and rear. (Rubicons have electronic disconnects) Rough Country has some new quick disconnects which I have on the front. Its just as easy to remove bottom bolts and zip tie them up with a heavy duty zip tie right before you go offroad. then when you return to road, snip the zips and reconnect and tighten well. Get some LOCKNUTS to replace stock ones.

When you disconnect the swaybars, you will get your articulation.
your kiddin right?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 AM
LVE
JK Enthusiast

your kiddin right?
I replied to fast. I didnt realize how many pages of discussion you had on this. The springs are definately FIRMER than my other Jeeps with lifts. Maybe somebody is getting sued due to rollovers.
I have noticed the same thing though. I disconnect the sways and mine articulates better now. still real stiff in rear.

When sitting level, does your sway almost touch spring on drivers side? Mine does and I'm trying to figure out why.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi

You likely need to re-center your axle with a track bar. When you lift the track bar pulls the axle to the side.

Just to clear up all this nonsense... I did some testing and some checking around... And this is really a non issue. My jeep is just super light in the rear right now when I have the top off. I did some testing with added weight to simulate spare tire and bumper/swing away combo since I posted all this. With that added weight on the rear of my jeep the spring weight is going to be perfect. There is no way I am going to change them out. I am just going to work on getting that stuff on there.

When I did my last couple trail rides all I had on top was a safari top. Just adding my hardtop and doors is enough weight to rid most of the body lifting before the spring compression. I will post some photos next weekend after I wheel it with the top on. Thanks for all the help and concern everyone!

Quick Reply: Rear axle articulation limited, need help