Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Axle Adjustments

Old 03-10-2020, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Rear Axle Adjustments

Looking at adding rear adjustable control arms so I can properly align the rear axle forward and aft. Is there a specification? What are good measuring points under the Jeep?
The Jeep is sitting on a 2.5 AEV lift with 3.5in up front. I have upper and lower adjustable control arms up for proper axle alignment, but I can see that the rear axle favors forward just a tad.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Why not ask one of your partners?
The following users liked this post:
jadmt (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Why not ask one of your partners?
Now you are just being a d@#k head.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Dirt Hammer
Now you are just being a d@#k head.
That I am.

Well there is the stated wheel base if you want to call that a spec but if you don't have the front axle position correctly that won't work. Center of front axle to center of rear axle is the best way to measure, I would check the front to make sure its right before removing the factory arms. Length of arms will change with height, the higher you are the longer they need to be. If you are running factory axles set your pinion straight to the output shaft, if you have aftermarket double cardone shafts then it should be a couple degrees down from straight at the pinion.
I can't wait to see the review/install video of the rear arms install with all the pertinent info.

The following users liked this post:
ballistik_monkey (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

That I am.

Well there is the stated wheel base if you want to call that a spec but if you don't have the front axle position correctly that won't work. Center of front axle to center of rear axle is the best way to measure, I would check the front to make sure its right before removing the factory arms. Length of arms will change with height, the higher you are the longer they need to be. If you are running factory axles set your pinion straight to the output shaft, if you have aftermarket double cardone shafts then it should be a couple degrees down from straight at the pinion.
I can't wait to see the review/install video of the rear arms install with all the pertinent info.
You're Really Good At It.

With my basic understanding of pinion angles, when using a CV Double Cardan shaft the pinion flange/yoke should be inline with the driveshaft. You mentioned it should be "down" which is how the oem shaft should be if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not an expert on this subject.

Last edited by Dirt Hammer; 03-10-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

On the front both would be down and that is due to caster adjustment when lifted. When you accelerate the rear axle will rotate slightly up, this puts the driveshaft straight at the pinion when it has the greatest amount of force on it. You don't have to put the slight angle in if you don't want to, just my recommendation.

On a 2 joint driveshaft you should match the angles on the top and bottom U joint.

On a factory CV (Rzeppa) joint the angle does not have to be matched with the pinion u-joint and can be placed straight to the output for max clearance at the pinion for obstacles. If you want angle at the pinion then go for it.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

read the question wrong.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

On the front both would be down and that is due to caster adjustment when lifted. When you accelerate the rear axle will rotate slightly up, this puts the driveshaft straight at the pinion when it has the greatest amount of force on it. You don't have to put the slight angle in if you don't want to, just my recommendation.

On a 2 joint driveshaft you should match the angles on the top and bottom U joint.

On a factory CV (Rzeppa) joint the angle does not have to be matched with the pinion u-joint and can be placed straight to the output for max clearance at the pinion for obstacles. If you want angle at the pinion then go for it.
Thank for the additional detail.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Adjustments