Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear ARB Air locker to replace LSD?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ARB Air locker to replace LSD?

Just like the title says is a rear ARB Air locker going to provide me with a better high then say 2 dots of LSD? Okay I am kidding...DON'T DO DRUGS...and stay in school.

So here is the real question. I am getting gears put in this summer at Northridge4X4 and keep going back and fourth about lockers. I have finally decided against anything in the front as I don't want to invest in the dana 30 any more then I already have. So what are everyone's thoughts on replaceing the factory LSD in the rear of my dana 44 with an ARB air locker? Is it worth it? I have heard the clutches wear out in the factory LSD, does that mean it just wont lock both wheels any more or does it self destruct taking the gears with it? Also I am guessing the stock 44 axles should be able to handle being locked running 33" MT's as this is not much different then a stock rubi configuration. I will be going to 4.56's but that shouldn't have any impact on responses. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm no expert, but the LSD doesn't "lock" per say, it's got clutches to help a little if one wheel has little traction. If one wheel is in the air, the LSD won't give much, if any, torque to the wheel on the ground. I would say the locker is far supperior. I like my LSD cause I do mostly on road driving, cause I'm in Wisconsin :( If it's in the budget, and you do enough off roading, I'd say go locker... I'm sure people who know what they are talking about will chime in..

I think when the clutches go out in a LSD it just becomes an open..... maybe,,....
Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll tell you a story about ARB lockers and living up north here. You don't drive your Jeep in the winter though do you. I'm at work, will PM you later.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

if you get bigger tires you will blow out your lsd
ive doen it 3 times already and as of right now it once again does not work
Old 04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Your LSD will not hurt the gears. When the clutches wear out, you simply have an open diff with an extra chunk of metal taking up space.

Unless you already have an air source, the arb gets expensive. Figure another $300 for the larger compressor with bracket and tire inflation kit, and maybe another $100 to install the compressor and run the lines/wires and switches if you don't do it yourself.

Is it worth it? Depends on your budget and usage. It is real hard to beat an arb, but do you need an $1100+ selectable? Depending on your wheeling needs, you might look at a TrueTrac also.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Right

Do to the snow up here I just think that selectable or manual lockers are my only options. I just do not want to spend money on a regear and not put in a locker if the rear axle can handle it but even worse I do not want to put in an auto locker and hate it. The way I look at it if I put in the air locker and hate it then I never flick the switch (yes a waste of money but at least I dont pull my gears apart to remove it). I have the ARB compressor in route from northridge4x4.ca and should be here on monday so that cost is not a worry. And although I dont run my Jeep in the winter now I just don't want to limit myself with a winter death trap set-up.

Thanks for all the info though it is always appreciated. And I look forward to hearing back from you Alaska HWY JK.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Read up on the TrueTrac. It's a limited, not an auto. It performs great on snow/ice, a little brake pressure will lock it up to pull you through the tougher stuff, and it does not use clutches like your current limited so it will not wear out. A true locker will perform better for wheels in the air crawling, but for everything else, a truetrac is a great option. And $430ish sure beats the cost of a selectable.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Read up on the TrueTrac. It's a limited, not an auto. It performs great on snow/ice, a little brake pressure will lock it up to pull you through the tougher stuff, and it does not use clutches like your current limited so it will not wear out. A true locker will perform better for wheels in the air crawling, but for everything else, a truetrac is a great option. And $430ish sure beats the cost of a selectable.
I'm considering a truetrac for my dana 30 when I regear, I have an Aussie locker now and like it but I figure I may do selectable in the rear 44 and truetrac in the front 30 to put a little less stress on the weaker axle.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joisey
if you get bigger tires you will blow out your lsd
ive doen it 3 times already and as of right now it once again does not work

Never heard of that...I have run 35s for two years with no problems on my LSD. The local club I wheel with, frequently, have had no problems either and most are on 35s or 37s.

I am very happy with my rear LSD. It works really well and I have had no problems.

Remember to use your brain and not your right foot while wheeling and you shold be fine
Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truetrac's

Quick Reply: Rear ARB Air locker to replace LSD?